GEN 1 Adjusting 3.0's and Alignment Camber

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Several weeks ago, I adjusted my front 3.0's based off Birdman's review
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/i...l-arm-skid-plate-installation-write-up-20927/

On step 18, the height from fender to center cap looks to be ideally at 26.5". When I first measure, I was at around 25.5". So I adjusted both sides to 26.5". I was finally able to get some time today and bring it in to check the alignment.

The camber was 1.0 degree positive. I do not know what it was before I made the adjustment. Of course, being this positive is out of spec and it can't be good to be that positive. I know previous alignments, the camber was closer the exact opposite, 1.0 degree negative.

The alignment shop tech didn't want to move forward and told me to adjust the shocks back down an inch and bring it back. It was getting within an hour of the place closing too.

So does mid-perch or adjusting 3.0's to provide more pre-load (thus raising the front) cause Camber to be that much possible positive and too difficult to do an alignment now?

The service advisor made another appointment next week and he is going to have apparently his best alignment/suspension guy work on it and just start from zero and get it aligned. I asked him about having to make the coilover adjustment and he told me adjust the shocks how you want and they will make the alignment work.

So who's right, the tech who worked on it or the service advisor that wants to reschedule it?

I can always adjust it back down but really didn't want to go back to 25.5".

Thoughts from any suspension experts / alignment guys?

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 3.0's are set at near top perch, and the alignment shop had zero issues setting all the factory specs (I believe). I've had mine checked after each run, and it has never been out of alignment.

Is this what you are asking - if it's possible to get a proper alignment after raising ride height?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

My 3.0's are set at near top perch, and the alignment shop had zero issues setting all the factory specs (I believe). I've had mine checked after each run, and it has never been out of alignment.

Is this what you are asking - if it's possible to get a proper alignment after raising ride height?

Do you have stock uca's?
What I'm asking basically is adjusting them by 1" actually affect camber by 2 degrees? Assuming that it was -1 before I adjusted

Last edited by a moderator:

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah - I'm on stock UCA's, but would that make a difference? Your shop said they couldn't do the alignment because you raised the ride height, right? Something ain't right there.....

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Yeah - I'm on stock UCA's, but would that make a difference? Your shop said they couldn't do the alignment because you raised the ride height, right? Something ain't right there.....

I am no expert hence why I posted to look for knowledgeable advice if adjusting our shocks affects camber to this degree. And I would think the UCA could make a difference with camber if they are adjustable. If you can adjust the UCA further out, then I would think that would increase camber. I am thinking they just need to loosen the LCA's and push them out to line up with the UCA's. I just wasn't aware that adjusting shocks preload has a dramatic effect on camber, Or does it?

Last edited by a moderator:

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have stock uca's?
What I'm asking basically is adjusting them by 1" actually affect camber by 2 degrees? Assuming that it was -1 before I adjusted

Yes. Should still be able to align it no problem.
If he runs out of adjustment, your spindle could be tweaked.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

just needs to slide the lcas outward to take away some camber. sounds like a rookie

Ok, that is what I thought. I'll stick with the new appointment that the service advisor made for me to have another guy look at it and get it aligned. I looked at the slot on the LCA and there is plenty of room to slide it out to me.