1st Timers DIY OEM Shock Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionFatherhood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to take on my first ever shock rebuild so I decided to do an additional DIY First Timers edition! I am using m3dragons DIY rebuild page as my guide, it is pretty well detailed and doesn’t leave much to question, however never rebuilding a shock before, you question yourself at every step… OEM shocks are at 100,000 miles now, top perch. Will be set to mid-perch with rebuild and remove fox stickers.. to be replaced possibly.

Parts and Tools I had to buy
-1 Gallon of fox JM 92 shock fluid: $74 shipped- SDHQoffroad.com
-Front/Rear shock seals: $80 shipped- Shockseals.com
-Powertank nitrogen shock kit- $500 (bought on FRF for $220 with fill needle)
-Shock inflator tool
-Regulator
-N2 Bottle with sling
-N2 power filler(to refill tank)
-Pin spanner wrench: $24 Suncoasttools.com (got the 3/16x1/4pin length)
-Towels, measuring cup, cleaners, misc.- $30 home depot
-1/4-20 bolt (6” length)- $2 Home depot
-3/8-24 bolt: $1 – Home depot
-DIYautorepair in Denver, CO - 442 piece hand tool set, spring compressor, lift, workbench/vice, air tools, fluid disposal: $30hr (If you need a tech to help or assist you- $50hr)

Additional Tools Needed (taken from m3dragon DIY page)
- 17 MM socket
- 19 MM Socket
- Spring Compressor (recommend wall mount but if not available harbor fright works, just be EXTREMELY cautious.)
- Clean work surface
- Vice
- Measuring Container
- Lots of clean towels
- Wooden dowel about 16 inches long
- Small Allen key
- Medium Allen key

Custom Tools – I bought 6” length bolts.
- 1/4 by 20 thread bolt with extension and T about 9 inches long
- 1/4 by 20 thread bolt with extension and T about 4 inches long

DIY instructions (credit to ROC)
Front shock PDF- http://raddrives.com/builds/Raptor/shocks/FRONT SHOCKS.pdf
Rear shock PDF- http://raddrives.com/builds/Raptor/shocks/REAR SHOCKS.pdf

The rebuild will be done on 11/7/2015 and will post problems I ran into along with any helpful advice I can provide as someone doing it for your first time.. (jokes will be made). Any advice you want to give prior to me starting the project would be great as well! Semper Fi.

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Reserved for front shock details

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Reserved for rear shocks

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 145
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

str8fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take ur time and make sure u have plenty of room to lay parts in order. Take some pics. I winged mine one night with never doing them before and it was pretty easy. Just take the time to document what order the parts come out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

munther76

Reaction score
take your time and take care for the seals facing to up or down take care for the small balls and for the oil you are using . thats all and have a good luck with the rebuild