Snorkel for a Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RaptorAddict.com

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I personally don't think Snorkels will do good for speed performance. You want air forced into the intake. I think a snorkel will take its time.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
?? Are we talking about not sucking water up into the engine, or are we talking about a ram air type setup for performance? :crazy:

OP
OP
RaptorAddict.com

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
?? Are we talking about not sucking water up into the engine, or are we talking about a ram air type setup for performance? :crazy:

Sorry, I'm only about performance for high speed. So, if you want it for both rivers and desert, not sure how to accomplish that. Maybe I'm not thinking properly here.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ahh ok, yeah I think we're getting sideways with the termanology.

In my experience, when you say "snorkel" in reference to a vehicle, you're talking about a device you attach exclusively for water crossings. They're designed to move the point of air intake well above the water line, to help make sure you don't suck water into your engine and hydrolock it.

I think what you're describing is a ram air scoop. Something that is open to the front of the vehicle, that funnels/forces air directly into the throttle body basically "ramming" air down its throat.

Here's a snorkel:
99153d1158784420-snorkel-cibex-4x4-snorkel1.jpg

Here's a ram air mod example
Spectre_Headlight_Ram_Air_2.jpg

Does that help clear things up? Do you know which your customers were asking about?

OP
OP
RaptorAddict.com

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The top pic is exactly what I am talking about. What I meant was, in my perspective, I wouldn't want air to travel that far to the intake from where the snorkel it sitting. I shouldn't have related it to forcing air, but more as keeping the air flow closer to the intake. Sorry for the confusion BigJ. It may not make a difference. I know nothing about a snorkel.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ahh ok gotcha. So you're thinking about something that would sit there permanently, that wouldn't inhibit performance (like a traditional snorkel will), might actually help performance (freer flowing air) and yet still enable water crossings?

Something like a traditional cowl setup?

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Or maybe some custom fiberglass and tubing that sealed off the two hood vents turning them into inlets for intake air?

OP
OP
RaptorAddict.com

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ahh ok gotcha. So you're thinking about something that would sit there permanently, that wouldn't inhibit performance (like a traditional snorkel will), might actually help performance (freer flowing air) and yet still enable water crossings?

Something like a traditional cowl setup?

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Or maybe some custom fiberglass and tubing that sealed off the two hood vents turning them into inlets for intake air?

Well, there you go! Good point made. Thanks BigJ.

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BigJ, I don't disagree with you that the factory box is pretty good and pretty high. However, around here we are usually crossing rivers and not only do you have to deal with the wave that the current creates but also uneven bottom. What happens if you find a hole you didn't know was there? One gulp is all it would take and then what? A helo ride back to the flatbed waiting at the road? All this said, I don't plan to cross any water deeper than the wheels with the Raptor. That isn't what I bought it for but if I did, I would protect the investment and my way out of the woods with a snorkel first, then seal up the door sill plates and such.