Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - Member's Area > FRF Sports Bar
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

FRF Sports Bar

Dakar Rally

This is a discussion on Dakar Rally within the FRF Sports Bar forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - Member's Area category!
Anyone watching the Dakar this year? I have it DVRed but only watched the first 1/2 hr episode so far. ...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Dakar Rally
Anyone watching the Dakar this year? I have it DVRed but only watched the first 1/2 hr episode so far. Brice Menzies is running it this year in a Mini. Hope he does well, got 4th in the first stage and definitely has the speed to place well, but this is a long race and anything can happen. If I had to bet on a winner, it would be Sebastian Loeb. The ex WRC champion almost took it last year and this could be his year to dethrone Mr Dakar, Stephan Peterhansel.

Fun adventure to watch. But the Iron nutz award IMO has to be a tie between the Bikes and the big rigs. Cant even imagine how wiped out you would be after that many days & miles of off road racing.

"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most"
Otis857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

I am. I mostly watch for the bikes, but I confess I like watching the big, hulking trucks too. I wonít spoil it for you.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post
I am. I mostly watch for the bikes, but I confess I like watching the big, hulking trucks too. I wonít spoil it for you.
10-4 on the bikes. As a former desert racer, that was my first interest. But after years of watching, its all good. Just wish they would go back hour long shows with more actual race footage. Miss the coverage from the old days.

I'll catch up this weekend. Hoping Menzies didnt crash out already. Usually I watch it then get online to follow, but its been a busy start to the year.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Banana
Otis457,
(I almost spoiled it for you...Love Dakar and Baja!)
Love the support trucks....
I've been waiting to post these pictures from the first two stages. I have no TV coverage so am watching it online...

Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
liaz-hino-2018.jpg   kamaz2018.jpg   maz2018.jpg  

Old 01-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

Yup, capturing it on DVR. I always watch the Dakar, even since it doesn't involve Dakar and isn't in Africa. I like it all. Those riders who ride like bats out of hell on the quads are absolutely astounding!

"I like my coffee black, and my tea in the harbor." - Jay Posey, author
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Iím watching and also wish episodes were longer. Itís fun to watch even if you already know the outcome.
Raven13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Ditchplains1 View Post
Otis457,
(I almost spoiled it for you...Love Dakar and Baja!)
Love the support trucks....
I've been waiting to post these pictures from the first two stages. I have no TV coverage so am watching it online...

Eddie
Ya, I'm almost caught up. Cant believe Menzies biffed it on Day 2. Guess he thought he was in a Trophy truck and not a Mini. Just saw how many of the big boys didnt survive the sand dunes too. Guess now I'll have to root for Carlos Sainz to dethrone Peterhansel (unless I missed something there too). He ate it pretty hard last year.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

On another note, My DVR picked up the Baja 1000 on the El Rey network. I need to catch up on my off road racing recordings

Old 01-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Otis857,
We need to live in Europe! I lived in Lille, Northern France on the Belgian border from Sept 1985 through 5/87. The coverage of Dakar was amazing...Every newspaper, magazine, news show started covering Dakar in September. Profiles of participants, teams, sponsors, manufactures, strategies, countries, governments, fuels, oils, tire suppliers, food preperation...well you get the idea; they were all covered by the press. Prime time coverage on several free channels every night.
Breakfast in Dakar? Crepes with fresh strawberries and pineapple with freshly made whipped cream! There's a mountain of paperwork to participate; byzantine rules and regulations.
The competition?
Absolutely incredible.
We get just the tip of the iceberg of the coverage; and that's just wrong!

Eddie

ps I had a paragraph about Menzies pinwheeling written to you when I went back and saw that you had only seen the opening stage I rushed back and deleted it...

Old 01-17-2018, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Ditchplains1 View Post
Otis857,
We need to live in Europe! I lived in Lille, Northern France on the Belgian border from Sept 1985 through 5/87. The coverage of Dakar was amazing...Every newspaper, magazine, news show started covering Dakar in September. Profiles of participants, teams, sponsors, manufactures, strategies, countries, governments, fuels, oils, tire suppliers, food preperation...well you get the idea; they were all covered by the press. Prime time coverage on several free channels every night.
Breakfast in Dakar? Crepes with fresh strawberries and pineapple with freshly made whipped cream! There's a mountain of paperwork to participate; byzantine rules and regulations.
The competition?
Absolutely incredible.
We get just the tip of the iceberg of the coverage; and that's just wrong!

Eddie

ps I had a paragraph about Menzies pinwheeling written to you when I went back and saw that you had only seen the opening stage I rushed back and deleted it...
Thanks for not spoiling the bad news for me, Ed. Seems like Menzies is a lot lie the late Cilin Mcrae was - either lightning fast and won or crashed out hard. Hope he can put a longer run together next year.

True that on the lack of coverage here in the states. Seems like if the American media cant make a decent buck on it, they ignore it. Personally, I think it started with Supercross in the off road world. The average American dirt biker likely doesnt even know about the MXGP series or even believe that was the start of it all for off road dirt bike racing, its not in the states except once a year! But I digress!

Still not caught up, just got to the end of rest day coverage, so hopefully I dont see any more disappointing surprises. Then again, thats Dakar. I've seen top runners end it on the last few days, so anything can happen.

Guess I'd better catch up!