Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - Member's Area > FRF Sports Bar
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

FRF Sports Bar

Any MXGP fans here?

This is a discussion on Any MXGP fans here? within the FRF Sports Bar forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - Member's Area category!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibcI3aSC36M...

User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

"magically delicious"

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibcI3aSC36M

I'd rather be a hammer thEn a nail.
1stSFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Well, this year has seen a changing of the guard in MXGP. Tim Gajser from Slovenia is running away with the championship in his rookie year in the 45o class. Cool to see a small country rider doing so well

And if you watch Lucas Oil Pro Motocross, Ken Roczen from Germany is having a stellar season and just humiliating the US riders. Looks like it could be a German win if Roczen teams up with Max Nagl for the Motocross De Nations. MXGP at Glen Helen and the GP of the Americas in Charlotte Next month should be some great racing too.

I hope they broadcast the MXDN again this year if you havent seen it, and you have any interest in MX, you're in for a treat. Riders representing their countries, not their motorcycle brands. Cool format too - 3 riders from each country running 2 of 3 motos each. France won it twice in a row the last 2 years, so it would be nice to see them knocked off the podium. America was a close second last year, and may do it again.

And If Roczen does the MXDN, it will be a treat to see him and Gajser go head to head in Europe (Italy this year). They are both young, blowing out their respective series, and seem to be in classes of their own on the track.

OH YEAH!

"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most"
Otis857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Cool thread, I haven't heard Mikkola's name in a long time, was a fan of his. My first bike was a Husky given to me by Bill Bowers who rode with Ken Howerton and Malcom Smith on Husky's desert team. Haven't kept up with MXGP lately but will be sure to check it out. Thanks for the info.
Raven13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Raven13 View Post
Cool thread, I haven't heard Mikkola's name in a long time, was a fan of his. My first bike was a Husky given to me by Bill Bowers who rode with Ken Howerton and Malcom Smith on Husky's desert team. Haven't kept up with MXGP lately but will be sure to check it out. Thanks for the info.
Thanks Raven, I was a Moto and desert fan until a big injury forced retirement from 2 wheels in the 90's. I did see Hielki Mikola, DeCoster, Ake Jonsson, Brad Lackey, Gary Bailey, and many of the great 70's MXers race locally at the Old Az Cycle Park in Phoenix in the early 70's and even saw Jeff Ward race a USGP in Carlsbad when he was just a young gun. Priceless memories. I even found an old 8mm reel of the 1972 US/europe race i filmed at ACP in 1973 at my folks house a while back (I was a sophomore in HS then). Looks so archaic compared to todays racing, but it was a cool stroll back in time to see.

CBSSN has the MXGP series and Mavtv and NBCSN has the Lucas Pro Motocross series on cable if you want to check it out.
Raven13 likes this.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Just caught up on my DVR MXGP's. At only 19 years old, Tim Gajser took the 45o world Championship after taking the 250 world championship last year. Incredible talent at such a young age.

BUT,,, I also watched the 2 GP's in America, one in Charlotte and the USGP at Glen Helen in San Bernadino. And an American successfully defended the home soil. Eli Tomac (son of legendary mountain bike racer John Tomac) took all 4 moto wins at both races. He had incredible speed and just schooled the new world champ (Gajser), the former champs (Fevra and Cairoli) in convincing fashion. He and his Kawasaki have finally started to click after playing 2nd fiddle to Ken Rocsen in the Lucas Oil pro motocross series this season.

Now, Im really looking forward to the Motocross De Nations.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Default 2017 season under way
I haven't had time to watch it yet, but i see the first race of the 2017 season is on my DVR. MX fans, especially those old enough to remember the days before Supercross and 13" of wheel travel, when the Europeans ruled the MX world, check it out. Its on CBS Sports Network, Directv channel 221.

I know its not fashionable or maybe even against factory team orders, but I miss the days when one or 2 lone Americans would make the commitment to challenge the Europeans on their home turf. It sure would be cool to see someone like a modern day Brad Lackey or Danny LaPorte go for a world title again. Some great racing on a variety of tracks in different countries all over the world. Its nostalgia racing meets modern technology and even a short glimpse of some of the country side of the host countries to boot.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Still early on, but just finished watching the first 2 rounds, and the old master is back. Antonio "Tony" Cairoli took the first 4 moto wins in pursuit of his 9TH World Championship. He's healthy and appears to be fully recovered from his injuries of 2 years ago. He really put on a show in the last moto in Quatar, where he bobbled in the first turn, came out 4th, passed the 2015 World Champ, and chased the reigning world champion for the full moto. Then passed him in the 2nd to last lap after letting him get a 4 second lead. Vintage Cairoli.

And a side note, there is hope for the ugly MoFo racer out there. Cuz that guy is Fugly (in his case, fast & ugly).