Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - Member's Area > FRF Sports Bar
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

FRF Sports Bar

Any MXGP fans here?

This is a discussion on Any MXGP fans here? within the FRF Sports Bar forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - Member's Area category!
Any past or present Moto Crossers here on FRF ? I've been watching it again for the past couple of ...

User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2016, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Any MXGP fans here?
Any past or present Moto Crossers here on FRF? I've been watching it again for the past couple of years now, and the 2016 season is a great one! Tight races and points battle, world class tracks all over the world, and some really great racing!! I grew up on FIM MX coverage in the magazines, and its been a fun time watching it again. If you're curious, check out the coverage on CBS SN.

"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most"
Otis857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

@Jimbo
CoronaRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

"magically delicious"

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I raced in the 70's. Back in the days of DeCoster and Mikkola. Before this stadium shit took over.
RIP Magoo

I'd rather be a hammer thEn a nail.
1stSFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by 1stSFG View Post
I raced in the 70's. Back in the days of DeCoster and Mikkola. Before this stadium shit took over.
RIP Magoo
I did some MX back in the early 70's too. Raced a 72 CZ 250 and sure found out how out of shape I was. I got into desert riding/racing after that with 2 different KTM's, a Yamaha and a KX 500. The KX did me in and ended my dirt biking days.

Now., Im watching the MXGP series and the AMA National outdoor series. Some great racing in both series and its OUTSIDE. Im with you there, just cant get into Supercross.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Some more names you may remember: From the really early years, Bengt Aberg, Arnie Kring, Ake Jonson. And cant forget the American who firts claimed a world championship in the open class, Bad Brad Lackey! I wish more Americans would go for the world Championship. And of course, who can forget the Rick Johnson/Jeff Ward battles. Epic!
1stSFG likes this.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

"magically delicious"

Yeah Brad got a break with CZ early in the 70's. When he came back from the Czech republic he kicked ass and Kawi stole him.
There are so many great MX pro's back then that never got the sponsorship to run with the big dogs.
You're a few years up on me, you likely heard of Danny Chandler? If not, look that name up on youtube sometime. Danny was a great guy and crazy as a loon. He did shit back in the day that stands today as bat shit crazy nobody's doing that. My first expert class race in 77, Ridge runners Watsonville CA I got to see first hand how good and how nuts he was. He won the first moto and second the second against a guy named Pat Richter. That dude was fast and smooth as glass. Never knew how he never got to the top, cause he was that good. I went overseas in 80 in the military so that was the end for me.
I started in 74 on a TM Suzi 125. In 76 I got into the new Yama mono shock. I broke three frames in two and a half seasons and that broke my bank. Game over.
If you raced two 45 minute moto's back in the day, you were in as good of shape as you could be. If you finished both moto's. lol
Otis857 likes this.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Ya, I remember watching Magoo. And no, I cant say I was ever in that kind of shape or had that skill set either. The highest i made it up the ladder was the amateur ranks in the local desert racing scene. I was just an underfunded 15-18 year old when I was into MX racing. And back then, you had to have a good upgrade budget to be competitive (You need a big budget for our Raptors too, HA).

Now through the magic of too many cable stations, I still enjoy watching the youngsters who are in that shape and am really impressed. Just watched the Hangtown and Glen Helen Lucas Oil Pro MX series on the DVR yesterday. Its great to see just how successful Roger DeCoster has been for whichever brand he has been involved with, now KTM with Ryan Dungey in the states and Tony Cairoli in Eurpoe.

I still have a soft spot for the Euro brand bikes that got it all going. About all thats left is Husky & KTM.
1stSFG likes this.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

"magically delicious"

Yeah Husky's CR and WR's in the 70's were the Cadillac of MX. What a ride!
I watched the second moto of the 450 MX race in Colorado yesterday on NBCS. What a weak track.
DeCoster and hurricane Hannah were/are like gods. Once in a generation dudes.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 1091 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

MotoGP fan here - Luis Salom of Moto2 passed away this weekend. Isle of Man TT is on this week as well - Dwight Beare and Paul Shoesmith passed away.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Sad to say I don't know the names, but r.i.p. to all the fallen racers. I have seen the idle of Mann t.t.s a few times and it's a great show. Those guys have cast iron nuts.
Jimbo likes this.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 1091 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Otis857 View Post
Sad to say I don't know the names, but r.i.p. to all the fallen racers. I have seen the idle of Mann t.t.s a few times and it's a great show. Those guys have cast iron nuts.

As the TT wrapped up this weekend, I think it was 4-5 that had passed from this week long circuit alone. Pretty intense, but these guys leave their heart and sole on the course. It takes some big brass ones to do what they do.