Spied! Ford Looking Into LED Bed Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spied! Ford Looking Into LED Bed Lighting
Posted by Mark Williams | February 13, 2012

It looks like Ford is preparing a new LED package for its revamped F-150, complete with LED light bars under the lip of the truck bed, as evidenced by this prototype caught by one of our spy shooters taking a break from a testing run.

The LED package on the F-150 Platinum remained lit for a few minutes, giving them just enough time to grab a few nighttime shots of the illuminated bed. The LED system also includes diode strips on the side mirrors. One word of caution to the Ford guys: Don't go overboard like Audi has been doing recently.

As Chevy prepares for an all-new Silverado for the 2014 model year, Ford's F-150 overhaul program is becoming more important by the day. Thoughtful, new details and updates like this LED truck bed lighting are the types of things that Ford planners can use in a cost-effective way until an all-new F-150 arrives; we're hearing for the 2015 model year.

Although we haven't seen any evidence of the LED-lit truck bed on Ford's revamped Super Duty, we would expect the system to be available on the heavy-duty models soon after they debut on the half-tons.

Damn, already getting the feeling my 2012 screw is behind the times ? :Jedi:

Spied! Ford Looking Into LED Bed Lighting - PickupTrucks.com News

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know. They almost look like the under counter lights I mounted in my shop.

I hope they come out with a cooler looking solution, especially with the mirrors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This kind of stuff just makes me want to wait to do LED or HID-related mods. I figure that maybe for 2013 Ford will have an OEM solution for everything I'd want to do as far as on-road lighting.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
really like the mirror inserts!

the bed lights look okay, but I'll probably do my own more recessed up on the understide of the rail. hopefully all the thigns are easily retro-fittable to 2012's!

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im thinking we can do better on our own....how about running a strip under the lip all the way down both sides? Kinda like the ceiling crown molding indirect lighting you see in higher end homes? I could hook it up to my ambient lighting and do different colors even...