On Patroll in a FordSVT Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
http://http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1008_2010_ford_f_150_svt_raptor_on_patrol/index.html

Its 7 pages long so I wont post the wholle thing here.
ford-F-150-SVT-raptor-side.jpg

Most right-minded people agree that the Ford Raptor is a sweet ride.

However, as much as I admire Fox Racing suspension components, flared fenders, and massive off-road tires, you've got to admit that the Raptor's talents are on the esoteric side. Off-roading is a pretty niche hobby in the first place (despite what Land Rover and Jeep would have you believe), and the F-150 SVT Raptor is designed for a specific kind of off-roading-high-speed desert-running. And who really does that on a regular basis?

The U.S. Border Patrol, that's who. Most of the U.S./Mexico border is an arbitrary line across the desert, and we haven't gotten around to paving much of it. Which means that the people tasked with patrolling that border are basically professional off-roaders. They might see pavement in the morning when they leave the house and again when they head home, but in the interim they're driving across dunes, hard-packed sand, and dry riverbeds -- basically prerunning the Baja 1000, 365 days a year. These people need Raptors.

Last edited:

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a couple of guys in the Border Patrol that are literally praying to God that they get issued a Raptor someday.

Batman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Where do I sign up to be in the border patrol in a Raptor!!!!!!!!!!

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score

That dude in the video is a #@%&* tool!

"Don't take it rock crawling"??? With the gearing and suspension travel, there's no reason not to. Sure the wheelbase and rear departure limitations come into play - but there's still many places you can go while keeping up to (or giving a friendly tug-out to) the power wagon he mentioned. (Personal favourite is Chevy Blazers - they should come factory with a tow strap attached front and rear...)

Sure, it's designed for the desert, however how many of us have taken other trucks to their limits in harsh conditions like trails, mud, and rocks?

I'd like to start a new post with each of us adding things about extreme wheeling in our rides. Not the 'break your truck' stuff, but actual footage showing the trials and tribulations encountered in the places we play in. I'm all for grabbin air, but these weapons can do some amazing things when put to the test.
More later.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
That dude in the video is a #@%&* tool!

"Don't take it rock crawling"??? With the gearing and suspension travel, there's no reason not to. Sure the wheelbase and rear departure limitations come into play - but there's still many places you can go while keeping up to (or giving a friendly tug-out to) the power wagon he mentioned. (Personal favourite is Chevy Blazers - they should come factory with a tow strap attached front and rear...)

Sure, it's designed for the desert, however how many of us have taken other trucks to their limits in harsh conditions like trails, mud, and rocks?

I'd like to start a new post with each of us adding things about extreme wheeling in our rides. Not the 'break your truck' stuff, but actual footage showing the trials and tribulations encountered in the places we play in. I'm all for grabbin air, but these weapons can do some amazing things when put to the test.
More later.

Sorry - hit the wrong link. The Border Patrol rig is awesome - My comment was toward the other vid posted from the insurance guy showing the 'top 10 things not to do in a raptor'.

Apologies for any inconvenience and my ineptitude for clicking on links...

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, no worries JP.... I was a lil' confused till I saw your last post. Makes sense now,and I agree on that top ten vid.