Ford dealers stockpile F-150 pickups, fearing shortages during model change next year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From today's online edition of the Detroit News (nothing Raptor specific at the moment):

Ford dealers stockpile F-150 pickups, fearing shortages during model change next year | The Detroit News

"...Ford dealers are racing to stockpile 2014 F-150 pickups ahead of the launch of the next-generation model.

Some dealers have requested as many as 20 percent more F-150s than usual, fearful that a shutdown of Ford Motor Co.’s Dearborn Truck Plant for retooling next summer could strain the supply of the best-selling vehicle in the country. Ford’s other truck plant, in Kansas City, Mo., will be retooled later next year.

Production of the current-model F-150 could drop as much as 10 percent next year because of the planned stoppages. For buyers, that could mean a shortage of trucks and the sweet deals that normally accompany model-year changeovers..."

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What is actually involved with retooling between model generations like this? How long does it usually take a company like Ford to modify their assembly lines for the new style?

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From what I have heard and been reading Ford has discovered a all new power source that in just the past six years has grown in availablity by 40%. To use this power source in the Dearborn plant they have to retool the entire plant. Once finished they expect to cut power consumption by 90%.

they call it...............UNEMPLOYED POWER!

Attachments

• gym-equipment.jpg
    gym-equipment.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

bakkbakk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was in the market for a new f150, it wouldn't be the old style id be racing to buy.

I personally think the old style will be old news and less desired when the new one comes out causing a surplus in high priced used vehicles.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

But wait, I thought dealers could only get what was allocated to them?

Im calling ********

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No shit. The Burning Bush speaks. That's the most informative post I've read yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I felt my original post (post #6) revealed too much about "the process," so I deleted it. Wilson and MajorAR got to read it and based on their replies, I'd say that they agreed.

Just take my word for it when I say that the dealership allocation limitations are not BS.

One key thing to note is that the linked article from the OP is essentially saying that the dealerships are asking for more allocation (aka more production from manufacturer)... it's not saying that they're getting more than their allocation.