City Doesn't Want Parked Pickups at Night

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's complete garbage! How the heck can they get away with ticketing people in their own driveways?!

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One thing to remember is that this law was on the books since the 1960's... Back then, pickup trucks were rarely used for anything but "work" and were very utilitarian in looks and purpose. Things have changed a lot.

San Marino, California had a similar law back when I was a kid... as do THOUSANDS of homeowner's associations. I have friends that live in HOA's where you are not allowed to park ANY vehicle in your driveway overnight... and with rules stating how long your garage door can be open... even with rules that state you can't store anything in the garage but vehicles. Lake Elsinore, CA does not allow boats or RV's of any type to be parked on the street or driveway overnight. I know these things because friends or relatives have been fined or ticketed for violations.

The point is that this law is not a new Coral Gables law or even unique. The HOA I live in has "pickups need to be garaged and residents can't park any vehicle on the street" rules but they are not enforced... at least not now. I park in the garage but if they decided to enforce the HOA rules here, I really can't complain too much. I did my research before moving in and before I bought my Raptor I made sure it would fit in the garage.

It sucks that they've decided to start enforcing an old law... but it's not that unusual for such a law or rule to exist... you might have one where you live!

Solution: do your research and petition to get the laws/rules changed before they are enforced if you don't like them. Or choose to live someplace else.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I honestly don't know what my HOA allows but I've been parking my trucks out front for 6 yrs with no issues....knock on wood. My neighbors does the same thing. Anyhow,mthis law as pointed out is focused on 1960's trucks and should be updated or done away with all together. If not, one of these days this town is going to wake up to a shortage in builders and yard guys etc.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I remember reading an article about someone being fined by his HOA for parking his truck in his driveway...may have been Florida...because his truck won't fit in his garage. He took the HOA to court, IIRC the HOA folded.

My HOA states no vehicles on the streets, no RVs, boats, etc. in the driveway, yard, yadda yadda. I currently park 3 vehicles in our driveway almost every day. The best part is no oil stains on the driveway which I appreciate but found rather odd. So I had a stain from my knuckle seals on the Landcruiser and used muratic acid and curned my concrete...at least it's not an oil stain.

If I lived in Coral Gables I would file a lawsuit against the city...what about SUVs....it's discrimination against certain car buyers.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All our garages are located in the rear of the homes in my neighbor hood. It's nice I guess, I mean the area is clean and you never seen anyone unless out walking or checking the mail. We bought the house for the kitchen and the pool.

Trig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never lived in a place with a HOA, so I guess I've never had to deal with that kind of stupidity.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
Lake Elsinore, CA does not allow boats or RV's of any type to be parked on the street or driveway overnight. I know these things because friends or relatives have been fined or ticketed for violations.
It's Elsinore, its Caynon Lake in Elsinore. I know a few guys that live there and its a joke, they are all gear heads and love to rack up fines, they used to have a fine contest. In 2008 1 guy racked up 65K in fines, some of the fine's included working on the race car in the driveway, firing up the race car at 1 am, and bring his semi in the neighborhood

Never lived in a place with a HOA, so I guess I've never had to deal with that kind of stupidity.
For this very reason we will never buy in a HOA area. My girl and I are looking to buy and these house's keep coming up. I for one refuse to live somewhere that I can be fined for having my garage open for more than 15 minutes, or that my hood was open to long on one of my trucks. F-that
If you've never looked into HOA nightmares you should, very interesting read