Artical on Torsen front Dif

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well a number of us pre 12 owners are interested in upgradeing to the Torsen . Here is an artical speaks to the new dif . It sais the traction control in the 12's helps manage the new Diff. Wonder if the 10 and 11's would do the same with it instauled ? A little fuzzy , but you should be able to read.

Attachments

• Raptor 4 wheeler 020.jpg
    Raptor 4 wheeler 020.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 148

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant see why it wouldnt... Traction control doesnt know what type of axle in installed... Cant see why there would be a problem. It senses wheel spin...

OP
OP
DEADEYE

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant see why it wouldnt... Traction control doesnt know what type of axle in installed... Cant see why there would be a problem. It senses wheel spin...

I agree and wanted to see what every one else thought.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Here is another article from Four Wheeler talking about it:

F-150 SVT Raptor Gets A Torsen Front Diff For 2012 | What's New Blog & Opinions at Four Wheeler Magazine

Ford has announced that the 2012 F-150 SVT Raptor will be available with a new front Torsen differential.

An internal helical gearset is used to help force torque from the front wheel that is losing traction to the wheel with traction. The system is set with a torque bias ratio of 2.5:1 to help multiply torque from wheel to wheel and the preload is set to zero to help minimize steering feedback.

Ford says that SVT and Torsen worked with the traction control team to further enhance the brake traction control system to improve the Torsen's capabilities. Special modifications were made for the differential's use on the Raptor, with a redesigned case created specifically for the truck's high-torque application.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
The difference for '10 and '11 owners who swap a in a Torsen will be that we will have to apply the brake pedal a little bit if you have a wheel hanging in the air to get the Torsen to work (not an unusual technique off-road). The '12s will use TCS to do it for them.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The difference for '10 and '11 owners who swap a in a Torsen will be that we will have to apply the brake pedal a little bit if you have a wheel hanging in the air to get the Torsen to work (not an unusual technique off-road). The '12s will use TCS to do it for them.

you can feel the tcs applying the brakes when the front slips in the mud. The first time it happened, I thought something was screwed up. I stopped, check for warning lights, messages. I cycled the truck from 4wd to 2wd and back. Eveything seemed okay. I continued on with no other shutter of weirdness. Thinking it was a fluke I blew it off.
Then when I was showing my wife how the hill decent works on a snowy hill. I felt the same feeling again and the light bulb went on. It was the traction control system applying the brakes...

-Greg