Wiring Vision X LED Light Cannons with Vision X Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolfnnc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need the relay for anything hooked up to the upfitter switches. The circuit in the truck includes a relay. Save your wiring harness for another project.

I got ya, so just cut the connectors off that attach to the lights, wire the positives together to attach to the switchs...and the grounds to the frame?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You don't need to cut into your wiring harness, save it. Check the bottom of the cannon box and you should have the male part of your deutsch connectors, which will plug in the back of the cannons. Just add wires to it and run it to your up-lifter wires in the engine bay.

I got ya, so just cut the connectors off that attach to the lights, wire the positives together to attach to the switchs...and the grounds to the frame?

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's my shot at a wiring diagram:

6969-wiring.jpg

wolfnnc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
much thanks...going to wire them up this weekend, appreciate the diagram for us electrically challenged folks :)

Chayse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't use the harness that came with my kit either. I just used the male half that was in the bottom of the box and made my own harness. It fits my truck exactly as I want it to.

svt_reid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just glancing at my 4.5 cannons and harness, it has two 30A fuses in the harness. If I wired them both to upfitter switch number two, would the single 30A fuse be sufficient for both lights? The two fuses in the relay are throwing me off. Thanks!

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So just glancing at my 4.5 cannons and harness, it has two 30A fuses in the harness. If I wired them both to upfitter switch number two, would the single 30A fuse be sufficient for both lights? The two fuses in the relay are throwing me off. Thanks!

The lights come with fuses for direct wiring to your battery, but the upfitter switch will handle the fuse part. I would leave the fuses in place that came with the lights, then maybe replace your upfitter switch with a 20A fuse. If it blows too easily, bump it up to 25A.

Other members might be more specific on the amp/volt mathematics.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I just installed mine two days ago. I like using the VisionX harnesses for their simplicity. Those light cannons are only 2.5 amps each - so 5 amps total. Nothing you are dealing with is near that. I wouldn't worry about the amperage at all. The only thing that's likely to blow those fuses is a short to the ground.

Personally, I just wired it up as intended. Relay to the battery, switching current to the Aux switch and everything is peachy. You could argue it's a little redundant I suppose, but no harm. Though, I think my harness only had one fuse (straight off the battery) and one relay. I'm curious as to what yours looks like since it should be the same.

Alternatively, you could say screw the harness and just wire it straight to the Aux wire and still be just fine - but that also means wiring in the deutsch connectors and such, so it's not really easier or quicker.

svt_reid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed mine two days ago. I like using the VisionX harnesses for their simplicity. Those light cannons are only 2.5 amps each - so 5 amps total. Nothing you are dealing with is near that. I wouldn't worry about the amperage at all. The only thing that's likely to blow those fuses is a short to the ground.

Personally, I just wired it up as intended. Relay to the battery, switching current to the Aux switch and everything is peachy. You could argue it's a little redundant I suppose, but no harm. Though, I think my harness only had one fuse (straight off the battery) and one relay. I'm curious as to what yours looks like since it should be the same.

Alternatively, you could say screw the harness and just wire it straight to the Aux wire and still be just fine - but that also means wiring in the deutsch connectors and such, so it's not really easier or quicker.

Okay thanks. That's what I was needing to know. I'm gonna just wire it to the aux switch and use the little pigtail connectors instead of the whole harness. I was just curious as to why it had such big fuses. My twenty inch rigid has a 15 amp fuse. It's not making sense to me why they send a thirty amp fuses for one little LED. Anyone else care to chime in on what size fuse yall are using? I may be totally off on this because I just don't really understand low voltage dc stuff that well. I work on high voltage ac lines. So I wouldn't want to over fuse it and burn an LED up or something like that. (Not sure if that is even a possibility.) someone enlighten me please

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Your getting on the right track now! Don't worry about the fuses that come in the harness, shoot you don't even need to worry about the fuses for the truck switches. The 4.5" cannons are only 25w each, so together they draw less than 5 amps.

You can do your own math by taking the total # of watts that will be on the circuit, and divide by 14.4 (although some like to play it safer by dividing by 12) end number is your minimum required # amp fuse required to run setup.

25w + 25w = 50w ÷ 12 = 4.16 amps

You could technically switch out the aux switch fuse for a 5 amp and be ok. But I wouldn't worry about it. Wire em up and enjoy!