Wiring lights in a series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ni9mm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a total newb electrical question. If you wire two lights, say two led cubes into one harness as opposed to using two separate harnesses running to the same battery is there any energy loss to the lights ?

I pretty sure the answer is no but I'm curious to know for sure. To better illustrate my question if I had six individual led strips with six red positive wires and same negative, then wired them to each other then to the battery with a single positive and negative wire would there be any power lost to each led ?

This may be the single most convoluted retarded question I've ever asked. Go ahead laugh with me. [emoji4]

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a total newb electrical question. If you wire two lights, say two led cubes into one harness as opposed to using two separate harnesses running to the same battery is there any energy loss to the lights ?

I pretty sure the answer is no but I'm curious to know for sure. To better illustrate my question if I had six individual led strips with six red positive wires and same negative, then wired them to each other then to the battery with a single positive and negative wire would there be any power lost to each led ?

This may be the single most convoluted retarded question I've ever asked. Go ahead laugh with me. [emoji4]

Its not stupid, ive done it with 8 4ft led strips like you said and it didn't affect the brightness at all. Just make sure you use decent size wire from the strips to the battery. ie, if the wire from the strip is 20g then run 14-16g to the battery, this will keep the right power flowing.

Not an electrical expert, just my 0.02![emoji41]

OP
OP
Ni9mm

Ni9mm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's the root of my question. How do you know the brightness wasn't affected ? If you had connected each light seperately with its own pos and neg lead wire maybe they would have been brighter .

I am probably way over thinking this and I have also done wiring this way and never felt I had an issue but now I'm wondering. Mostly because I'm bored and looking for knowledge and because I have a lot of lights being added this weekend. I was thinking my battery posts were gonna look like a stack of quarters with all the terminal leads.

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the root of my question. How do you know the brightness wasn't affected ? If you had connected each light seperately with its own pos and neg lead wire maybe they would have been brighter .

I am probably way over thinking this and I have also done wiring this way and never felt I had an issue but now I'm wondering. Mostly because I'm bored and looking for knowledge and because I have a lot of lights being added this weekend. I was thinking my battery posts were gonna look like a stack of quarters with all the terminal leads.
Haha about the terminal posts, mine out of room now!! When I did the strips I wired 2 each separately to the battery, then connected the other 6 together and ran them to the battery, put 1 wired separately and 1 wired in the group on each side of the truck and couldn't tell a difference is the output. They looked the same to me, then I had my dad and my buddy come over to see if they were different and we all said it looked the same. Thats how it went for me.

OP
OP
Ni9mm

Ni9mm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good to know I already knew. Haha. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm gonna be out of upfitter switches by Saturday evening. I want to add another bank of them but that's WAY out of my league.

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know I already knew. Haha. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm gonna be out of upfitter switches by Saturday evening. I want to add another bank of them but that's WAY out of my league.
Glad to help!! I already added another row. Its not that hard!!!

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1426729577931.jpg

Easiest way to do the switches, the panel pulls out and makes it really easy to cut into. Then run a fuse bank above the glove box. Not too hard to do. Takes an afternoon.