wiring lights in the rear bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to do my new bumper install tomorrow and was looking for an "idiots" guide as to what wires I need to tap into.

Reverse should be pretty simple as all I need to do (I think) is find the wire in either taillight that gets voltage when in reverse.

I was wanting to add a switch to be able to turn them on whenever I wanted. Is there a constant 12V source in the rear of the truck or do I need to tap into a key on 12V source.

Sorry if these are dumb questions

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Going to do my new bumper install tomorrow and was looking for an "idiots" guide as to what wires I need to tap into.

Reverse should be pretty simple as all I need to do (I think) is find the wire in either taillight that gets voltage when in reverse.

I was wanting to add a switch to be able to turn them on whenever I wanted. Is there a constant 12V source in the rear of the truck or do I need to tap into a key on 12V source.

Sorry if these are dumb questions

The only dumb questions are the ones never asked. I too will be adding flush mounts to my rear bumper and would like to know this as well. Good luck....

D

Deleted member 12951

Because I wanted to be able to use my lights in the rear not just for backing up but also for off-road use, I put them on AUX 4 to turn them on at will. The wiring is ran with the other cables that run along the outer frame on the driver side.

jlatigo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use a diode to keep the voltage seperated from each circuit when doing the backup lights and a second switch

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Easiest point to tap is the trailer connector harness it has everything you need and is color coded with standard trailer wiring colors.