wiring dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
installed the m&r fog light kit yesterday. wired the middle leds to upfitter 1, and the outer 4 to upfitter 2. i realize i didnt need that much amperage to run them, but i didnt think i would ever wire anything else to the upfitters, so i used the switches closest to me. my problem is the lights wired to upfitter 2 wont come on. i know. it sucks to be me. i spliced the wires from the outer leds together at the lights and ran one wire from either side to the hot wire. is this the correct way to do it? and if so, anything i can check before i tear the whole thing apart? thanks.

Towerhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some tips. Might sound stupid but hey.... cant hurt to check... right?

First. See if the lights that arent lighting will light using #1 switch. If they do, then most likely its youre switch. If they dont then it could be a problem listed below.

1. Ground. Dont think it could be an issue since the middle one is lit. Cant hurt to check.

2. Fuse. Yeah I know, it sounds dumb but you never know.

3. Relay. once again a no brainer.

4. Switch. Could be the #2 up-fitter switch is bad (its been posted on here before).

I hate chasing electrical gremlins. Good luck.

OP
OP
FreightTerrain

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here are some tips. Might sound stupid but hey.... cant hurt to check... right?

First. See if the lights that arent lighting will light using #1 switch. If they do, then most likely its youre switch. If they dont then it could be a problem listed below.

1. Ground. Dont think it could be an issue since the middle one is lit. Cant hurt to check.

2. Fuse. Yeah I know, it sounds dumb but you never know.

3. Relay. once again a no brainer.

4. Switch. Could be the #2 up-fitter switch is bad (its been posted on here before).

I hate chasing electrical gremlins. Good luck.

i hooked switch 1 to the lights that wouldnt work. they still wouldnt work. i hooked up switch 2 to the lights that work and they worked. so i musta made a bad connection somewhere. looks like im starting over. crap

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
maybe its the lights? its a habit of mine to hook up the lights to my spare battery in the garage before installing them so i know they work. this way if they don't work when i install them i know its something i messed up in the wiring.

OP
OP
FreightTerrain

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i tested one of the outer lights after i took em off, and it worked. i just wired up the driver side and tested em both prior to mounting em back up, and everything works now. dont know what i did different but looks like problem solved. thanks for the tip

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i tested one of the outer lights after i took em off, and it worked. i just wired up the driver side and tested em both prior to mounting em back up, and everything works now. dont know what i did different but looks like problem solved. thanks for the tip

Could of been the ground sometimes it can be a pain in the ass to get a good ground even on something you know is a good ground spot. so you don't think to check it and run around trying to find out whats wrong.:favorites68:

OP
OP
FreightTerrain

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
got em all wired up and tested. gonna put em on tomorrow. maybe post some pics. quite a job for an old man with a bad back and little patience.