Who's running the BAJA Designs RTL 30?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a wild hair to install the RTL 30 on my chase rack just below the brake light and I'm curious if anyone else is running this light.

Seems more like a RZR application so curious if anyone else has had the idea to run it on a truck. I like the fact that it has bed lighting, ambers and a brake light built into one bar.

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've got a wild hair to install the RTL 30 on my chase rack just below the brake light and I'm curious if anyone else is running this light.

Seems more like a RZR application so curious if anyone else has had the idea to run it on a truck. I like the fact that it has bed lighting, ambers and a brake light built into one bar.

Thanks for posting up! I wish I had some photos of the RTL on a chase rack that I could share with you.

14608898_870279073073338_3787827950545649932_o.jpg

The RTL is great for giving you added safety in the dirt. One thing to note is the Red Running and Amber Running Lights come on at the same time. If you want to independently control the Amber I would recommend the RTL-S. With the RTL-S you can control Left or Right Amber sections independent of the Tail/Brake.

RTL, 30" Rear Tail Light
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/RTL-30-Light-Bar.asp
$424.95

RTL-S, 30" Rear Tail Light
https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/RTL-S-rear-light-bar.asp
$449.95

Both can be purchased with our BDForums discount code for 10% OFF + $5 Shipping to the Lower 48. Let us know if you have any questions.

-Bailey, Baja Designs
www.bajadesigns.com

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks @Baja Designs, so you're running this one with the tailgate off?

Texas MotorWorx did the build on that truck. The tailgate is in the lowered position in that photo. The tailgate can be closed but the RTL won't be visible.

-Bailey, Baja Designs

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey @Baja Designs,

I was looking at the RTL-S as well to mount on the ADD Universal Chase Rax. I'm trying to run Baja next year with a team and provide chase truck/field support. I suspect this would be great for that or should I go with a -B? Don't think I'll actually be on the course so no need for a "slower vehicle" marking right?

Also on the amber LED sections; are the flashers built into the unit or will they do whatever I hook them up to? I can see wanting to use them as turn signals in general but have them constant on for dust lights in the desert.

Thanks

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey @Baja Designs,

I was looking at the RTL-S as well to mount on the ADD Universal Chase Rax. I'm trying to run Baja next year with a team and provide chase truck/field support. I suspect this would be great for that or should I go with a -B? Don't think I'll actually be on the course so no need for a "slower vehicle" marking right?

Also on the amber LED sections; are the flashers built into the unit or will they do whatever I hook them up to? I can see wanting to use them as turn signals in general but have them constant on for dust lights in the desert.

Thanks

The RTL-S would be great for chase/field support! You can go with the RTL-B as well but you'd lose the white Cargo/Work light and the turn signal functionality. Those two features would be beneficial for your application.

The RTL-S has two Amber sections which are controlled independent of each other. These light steady unless controlled by an external flasher or strobe module. A popular method of wiring the RTL-S is to tap into the rear trailer wiring so the Amber sections light with the Left or Right Turn Signals. This can also be custom wired to a 3 position switch if you want to override the turn signal function and run these as a constant Amber dust light.
https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/RTL-S-rear-light-bar.asp

103004_n.jpg

We do have a video showing the RTL-S in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh3e7zsiuUQ

-Bailey, Baja Designs
www.bajadesigns.com

39179911291_11740b170e_b.jpg

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome info @Baja Designs. Thanks for the links. Sounds like the RTL-S get's me what I want and I'd rather have the white LED to light up the bed at night.

Is there a wiring diagram available for the RTL-S? I couldn't find anything on the web site. I'd like to start planning my wire runs and figure out the switching.

Thanks

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome info @Baja Designs. Thanks for the links. Sounds like the RTL-S get's me what I want and I'd rather have the white LED to light up the bed at night.

Is there a wiring diagram available for the RTL-S? I couldn't find anything on the web site. I'd like to start planning my wire runs and figure out the switching.

Thanks

I can email you the full instructions. The RTL-S has 2 Power Cords:

Cord #1 (4 Wires)
Black - Ground
Red - Running/Tail
Yellow - Brake
Blue - Cargo/Work
o Red, yellow, and blue function off positive current
o Yellow(brake) will only function when Red(running) is receiving power
o In order to run the white light, it is recommended you wire to a switch

Cord #2 (2 Wires)
Yellow - Right Amber
Blue - Left Amber
o Yellow and Blue function as the turn signal power wires
o Turn signal power wires should be spliced into their respective directional wiring

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
The RTL-S is really tempting me to get rid of my tailgate...

OP
OP
MatMan

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That crossed my mind as well, but I can't part ways with the BU cam (which isn't a concern for you OGs)