who wants extra length on their aux wires!? pics inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. This is on a 14' . It was just as tight as all the other pictures I've seen before i cut the tape and in did the harness connectors.

But you have to cut off ALL the tape, as far back as you can follow the harness, AND detach from the harness clips.

Thanks. Did you bother tying the bundle back together somehow?

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just connected the rest of my switches and installed a pair of KC rear bumper lights yesterday. Great write up on extending those wires, it is a pain to do it with what little wire the factory exposes in such a tight area.

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well it all started with wanting some better back up lights, among the rest of the lighting I want to do. Because i found out how horrible the stock reverse lights were when i decided to back down my blacktop driveway, in the middle of the night, with no city lights around. So decided that I take care of these real quick. So i got these poverty lights off ebay, 10w single led floods, for $50.
IMG_20140403_172219_571_zps56mw6lct.jpg

OK so here come the dreaded aux wires under the dash everyone's been talking about, tight spaces and all. Well I fiqured there had to be a better way! So I start looking and seen that our aux wires are taped all along the wire harness so I started there and carefully cut ALL the tape off the wire harness. Then I found the white harness clips taped up too, so I undid those as well, i tried pulling them out, but space is limited to where its hard to get to them.
IMG_20140405_181110_750_zpsmojzhnl_edit_1396790601241_zps9ufz4mms.jpg
IMG_20140405_180755_570_zpszoduo1q_edit_1396790751548_zps8y5xg0wj.jpg

After cutting all that tape, I was able to pull down carefully.
IMG_20140405_182904_777_zpskbafpq5_edit_1396790850680_zpsesujld5t.jpg

And what do we get for 10-15 minutes!?!?!? Extra wire to work with!!!!! Adds much needed leg length to either way you want to work with.
IMG_20140405_183006_523_zpslsnf3oeh.jpg
IMG_20140405_183118_518_zpsufhbhwdx.jpg

OK so now that was done I got them all hooked up ready to go as we all know how. If you dont, check out Birdman's upfitter how to thread. Then I got my backup lights mounted and wire ran to the back of the truck and are all hooked up. Here's some output shots!!!!! Very happy for spending less than $75 on everything.
IMG_20140405_213934_720_zpsmvxh20mr.jpg
IMG_20140405_213904_863_zpsamxpx8o2.jpg
IMG_20140405_213949_283_zpsobq5hsjg.jpg

These were all taken from I my camera phone so quality not the best. But these made a HUGE improvement.

*not responsible for anyone damaging their vehicle following my tips*

You have a link to the light? I wonder if they would work for driving light?

Sent from my dumb apple products my work makes me use.

OP
OP
HAYNES OFFROAD

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Thanks. Did you bother tying the bundle back together somehow?
I re taped the original harness (but left the aux wires separate) back together a few times but didn't bother with the white plastic harness hooks.

You have a link to the light? I wonder if they would work for driving light
Yea here you go. 2pcs 10W Spot Beam CREE LED Work Light Modular High Power Reverse Lamp 12V 24V | eBay
I got them for $50 because they were out of stock on another set that I had originally ordered. They contacted me right after my order and gave me a choice of other sets of lights they did have in stock. Customer service was great. They told me if I had any problems they would take care of it. Id buy from them again for poverty lights.

Krab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much better light for backing up! I'm glad you posted this because I had been wondering how some diffused lights would look mounted there. Good job.

OP
OP
HAYNES OFFROAD

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Yes it made my day when I flipped the switch at night. I could actually see backing down my driveway. And they throw the light pretty far, so using them as a loading light could work well too.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I just got fed up and took my dashboard apart! Did some tidying up while I was in there and left a few pieces of wire to pull future wires through. Which was extremely helpful when it was time to install my VHF radio and Lowrance GPS w/ external antenna

I ended up being able to get some amp connectors in there so they can be disconnected at any time or replaced with a new accessory that is mounted inside the truck. Simply unplug and plug and add an amp connect to the positive and connect it up.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up. I don't know why Ford didn't do like they have with their HD trucks (F250's & above) with the upfitter wiring. They're actually labeled 1,2,3 & 4 under the dash, and the under the hood, and they were alot easier to work with.

Yea, I wished you were around 2 years ago with this write up.

OP
OP
HAYNES OFFROAD

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Yea I fiqured it would be too late for most of ya, but I'm sure there's still quite a few people going to be needing to attach the aux wires. Its still a pain in the ace, but it made soldering under the glove box, almost on floor, almost easy. :) if I couldn't pull them out, I would of just crimped them.