Vision X HID 6550

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwjstruebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a budget I would like to stay under for my xmas shopping for myself...

I'm wanting to do lighting for the snoball 500 so I'm not left in the dark!!

Been looking, started a thread or 2 and now it come down to this....

The HID-6550 is a 50w HID 6" and is 7" in total height with 5,000 lumen per light. 5k color Euro beam

A bit pricey but lighting is supposed to be great!

My question is has anyone used these or seen them? I am wanting to hood mount them but am worried about them being too big?

I was looking at dually d2s originally but after looking into it further they are too "stealthy, small"

I have a few friends (forum members) who have 4" 35w 3,000 lumen (approx) lights on their hoods and I looked up some specs and they are only 1" smaller in overall height.

I will also be getting a 20" Rigid bar not sure what pattern yet...

Any info would be appreciated...:think:

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would look into some of the great lightning options from the Snoball sponsors.

KC HiLites
M & R online
Baja Designs
Rigid Industries
Raptor Retrofit

They are the lighting companies supporting the run and it would be great to give them your business.

Possibly the Baja Squadrons, M & R 6" or the KC HID's

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want a punch in a small package, go with the Whelen mini lights that WSI sells. No water issues and you can mount them to your hood if you'd like.

Only draw back, they are pricey. BUT, MADE IN THE USA!

Yukon Joe

KX250R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a budget I would like to stay under for my xmas shopping for myself...

I'm wanting to do lighting for the snoball 500 so I'm not left in the dark!!

Been looking, started a thread or 2 and now it come down to this....

The HID-6550 is a 50w HID 6" and is 7" in total height with 5,000 lumen per light. 5k color Euro beam

A bit pricey but lighting is supposed to be great!

My question is has anyone used these or seen them? I am wanting to hood mount them but am worried about them being too big?

I was looking at dually d2s originally but after looking into it further they are too "stealthy, small"

I have a few friends (forum members) who have 4" 35w 3,000 lumen (approx) lights on their hoods and I looked up some specs and they are only 1" smaller in overall height.

I will also be getting a 20" Rigid bar not sure what pattern yet...

Any info would be appreciated...:think:

I would think you would be happy with the 6550 on hood mounts, I have seen that size on other rigs on hood mounts and it looks good, thought hard at one point about doing that setup myself but went another route. The Vision X are bright and super tough, I had one come off on an outlaw run once and a truck behind me picked it up, it was fine w minor scuffs. Still strong a year later. I currently run 4 of the 8550 on the front bumper and seven 6550 across the top of the windshield in a custom rack. picked the 6550 because of its size. have fun on the run!

OP
OP
pwjstruebig

pwjstruebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll talk with him(WSI) and see what the deal is

Guy at outlaw said they did have someone put 6550 on their mounts so the bigger light n its weight isn't an issue

KX250R since you have them they wouldn't be too big? Think you could pose a pic? and what changed your mind?

KX250R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quote=pwjstruebig;311846]I'll talk with him(WSI) and see what the deal is

Guy at outlaw said they did have someone put 6550 on their mounts so the bigger light n its weight isn't an issue

KX250R since you have them they wouldn't be too big? Think you could pose a pic? and what changed your mind?[/quote]

No, IMO not too big at all. I prefer them over the small 4500 series or some of the Square LED's I have seen on hood mounts, on purely a looks basis. Some of the hood mount setups I have seen have larger lights and I think look really good, like MicTouch's setups. Below is a photo of my upper light bar. Sorry its a crap photo, this is all I could find on short notice. Its an early setup shot and the center light is not installed yet, but you can see the size of the 6550, it really not looking too large on a Raptor I think. I dropped the hood mount concept because I decided to go the upper light bar route. Those along with what is on the bumper is alot of light! Only thing I might do down the road is a pair of short LED's mounted on each side of the front bumper, angled out, for lighting up really tight turns.
If you want to see the latest MicTouch setup, go to this thread;

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f81/how-much-light-enough-light-18564/index4.html

4683-upper-light-bar.jpg

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
quote=pwjstruebig;311846]I'll talk with him(WSI) and see what the deal is

KX250R since you have them they wouldn't be too big? Think you could pose a pic? and what changed your mind?

No, IMO not too big at all. I prefer them over the small 4500 series or some of the Square LED's I have seen on hood mounts, on purely a looks basis. Some of the hood mount setups I have seen have larger lights and I think look really good, like MicTouch's setups. Below is a photo of my upper light bar. Sorry its a crap photo, this is all I could find on short notice. Its an early setup shot and the center light is not installed yet, but you can see the size of the 6550, it really not looking too large on a Raptor I think. I dropped the hood mount concept because I decided to go the upper light bar route. Those along with what is on the bumper is alot of light! Only thing I might do down the road is a pair of short LED's mounted on each side of the front bumper, angled out, for lighting up really tight turns.
If you want to see the latest MicTouch setup, go to this thread;

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f81/how-much-light-enough-light-18564/index4.html

4683-upper-light-bar.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Which baja light cage is that?

-Greg