Upfitter switch in parallel to backup light switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jetskimobile1

Reaction score
I have installed flush mount Rigids in the bumper of my '13 Raptor. I wired them into the backup wiring from the trailer connector and also a single wire tapped off a relay I had planned to run to one of the upfitter switches.
Currently the function when I put in reverse. Plan was to have the upfitter switch turn them on also anytime I wished. for hooking trailer, working behind, etc.
I came up with another option also and wanted to see if anyone had imput into this idea. Rather than run a wire full length of truck from underhood to the relay mounted at the hitch, could I run the upfitter switch in parallel to the backup switch in the console?

Does anyone know the color coding for the backup light switch wiring?
Also is it a switch with 12 volts or a ground circuit?

I was thinking if it was 12v I could connect the upfitter switch to the output side of the switch. It would then apply 12V to the circuit just as if the shifter was in reverse.

If it is a grouding circuit. I could use a relay connected to the upfitter switch to fire and pull the output side of the switch to ground for same purpose. Truck wiring would appear as if truck was in reverse and I would not neet to run wiring trough the frame under the truck.

Thoughts?
feedback?

I searched the threads and could not find anyone who had done this solution.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes. i knows.......

you need to wire the relay as follows.

85... power from aux switch
86... ground
87... power
87a.. power from oem reverse lights
30... out to aftermarket lights

OP
OP
Jetskimobile1

Jetskimobile1

Reaction score
I have it wired that way now with a relay mounted in the rear bumper. I have the backup lights firing the relay and all works like it should.

What I am wanting to do is not run a wire from under the hood to the rear for the upfitter switch. I was hoping to tap into the existing backup light switch in the console and add a 2nd switch that would make contact like the shifter was in reverse.

Needed to know the color coding for the backup light switch in the console and if it has 12Volts or completing a ground circuit.

I could pull it all apart to sort out but was hoping to have some insight before pulling the wiring out of the console.