GEN 1 Thrid Brake light LED Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cannot replace just a LED. The whole light needs to be replaced. It is my understanding that it is welded together and cannot be opened without damaging it.

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cannot replace just a LED. The whole light needs to be replaced. It is my understanding that it is welded together and cannot be opened without damaging it.

I took it off, and it looks like I can disassemble it. I was looking to see if it is hard taking a single led off, and replacing it. I am unsure if it is on a board or somewhere else.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just a thought call diode dynamics, just google them. They make LED light bulbs. May be they will be able to suggest how to repair the light. I bought bunch of LED lights from them for my truck. Quality stuff.

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought call diode dynamics, just google them. They make LED light bulbs. May be they will be able to suggest how to repair the light. I bought bunch of LED lights from them for my truck. Quality stuff.
I just upgraded all my interiors from them. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the light is sonic welded together.. you basically have to break the clear part away from the grey backing. i successfully opened a bad one to take a look at the board... the board really isnt serviceable, so your best bet is to make a new one from perf board and get new leds and resistor/diodes to make it function like oem, or drop $300 on a new one. the water is getting in thru the screw holes and ruining the boards, so if you do buy a new one, id suggest filling the recessed holes half way with some clear epoxy and then drilling a new mounting hole and use longer screws

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the epoxy trick but it was too late. The light had already gone, I just didn't know it.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have a line of LED replacement bulbs (CrystaLux we call it, formerly called ClaraLux). Same quality as other brands, but for a bit less $$.

So if you can open that thing up you may be able to replace the bulbs using a soldering iron and some silicone perhaps.

OR you could always buy a replacement housing (LED kind)

OR buy the regular 3rd brake light/cargo that you see on regular F150s... take out the halogen bulbs, throw replacement LED bulbs in. Now you have a really cheap housing (because it's not BUILT with LED bulbs) and you can upgrade them to even brighter bulbs (we sell a 921 CL90 we call it, which is 900 raw lumen which works great for the cargo lights).

There are options out there depending on how crazy you want to get with the "modding"