Stock 3rd Brake Light Sealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on a new 3rd brake light.

I did some searching here but couldn't find any threads about how to seal a new brake light to keep the water out.

Anybody got a good strategy on getting it sealed and keeping it sealed up?

Really don't want to buy another if I don't have to!

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trying to find that aftermarket light a vendor has.
Think my 3rd light got water in it and would rather just upgrade it than have the new one crap out in a couple years.
Know I saw it on the FB FRF but searching on there is a pita

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most of the ones I cracked open were leaking thru the screw holes. If the screws are over tightened, it cracks the lens away from the grey backer. I'd suggest barely tightening those screws down and let the foam gasket do it's job

OP
OP
A

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the ones I cracked open were leaking thru the screw holes. If the screws are over tightened, it cracks the lens away from the grey backer. I'd suggest barely tightening those screws down and let the foam gasket do it's job

I saw a post about this else where. So I poured some clear expoxy into the bottom of the holes to beef things up a bit. I also plan to fill the screw hole with silicone after install.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I saw a post about this else where. So I poured some clear expoxy into the bottom of the holes to beef things up a bit. I also plan to fill the screw hole with silicone after install.

Fill the hole about halfway with epoxy, and just put a drop or two of silicone on the screw before you install...

OP
OP
A

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went full monty on this little project.

I put about 1/4" of expoy in the holes, wasn't sure how long the screw was.

I then ran some silicone around the inside edge where the gray pastic meets the clear, you can see the gap in there.

Then when I installed it I put a small bead under the head of the screw. Then once it was on the truck I put another bead around the head of the screw to seal it.

Lastly I ran a bead around the outside of the light to seal it to the truck.

Its going to be a bear to get it back off, but I am not counting on doing that with it sealed up.

One thing I did notice was that as i was puttting it on it was taking a good bit of force to compress the neoprene gasket and draw the light onto the truck. This might be the cause of the cracking issues people seeing. I went easy on the tension and sealed the gap with silicone.

It rained a good bit when I was home and it looked good.