Spyder LED Tail Light Hyper Flash Troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started troubleshooting my Spyder LED hyper-flash issue tonight. I started by checking the resistance of the stock 3057 bulb vs the Spyder LED. To be more precise, I measured the amperage draw of both setups, then back calculate to get the resistance. The 3057 bulb has to be tested under load because an incandescent bulb's resistance increases(rapidly) as it heats up. Thus it is necessary to test it while powered instead of just using the ohmmeter built into a multimeter.

First I measured the voltage of my 13.8V power supply under the load of a 3057 bulb. It shows 13.74 Volts so that is the number I will use in my calculations.

Loaded%2BPS%2Bvoltage.jpg

Next I put my ammeter in line and measured the draw of the 3057 bulb once it was at full brightness.

3157%2BHigh%2BAmps.jpg

Here is the draw of the bottom LED (as seen at the connector to the truck)

Bottom%2BSpyder%2BLED%2BHigh%2BAmps.jpg

Here is the draw of the top LED:

Top%2BSpyder%2BLED%2BHigh%2BAmps.jpg

Here are the resistances:

3057 (bright element): 6.5 Ohms
Spyder bottom LEDs under load: 7.3 Ohms
Spyder top LEDs under load: 7.4 Ohms
Spyder resistor direct ohmmeter measurement: 8.0 Ohms

The numbers don't seem that different (like using a 25watt bulb instead of a 29watt 3057) but it sounds like these trucks can be pretty sensitive. I ordered some 6Ohm 50watt resistors off of amazon (Here). I'll try those instead of the 8 Ohm thats in the Spyder light. I'll do the same test again and see what the trucks perceived resistance is.

If that doesn't work I may try doing a test socket with different bulbs like Ironman did or try to find a way to put a potentiometer in the mix.

The truck is sitting with the battery disconnected now(and has been for over an hour). I'll try the Spyders again and see if the computer reset helped. If it didn't, I'm going to put the stock tails back in. I know I'm looking for the 6.5 Ohm resistance so its just a matter of finding a way to get the Spyder lights to have that. Once I do I'll re-install them.

Does anyone else have a Spyder tail light they can check the resistor on to see if it shows 8 ohms?

AB

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Computer reset did not help...

Last edited:

cubiefan101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the spider tail lights on a 2010 and have not had any issues. I can test them out for you when I get a chance

OP
OP
AngryBird

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thank you Ironman. I just got your PM. I'll update this thread anyways when i get the 6ohm resistors in. Just for information I guess. The SVE Bulletin claims you only need 700mA per circuit and based on the measurements I know I have well over that. I wonder what gives...

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Cubiefan, if you don't mind testing them I would appreciate it. Its good information to have. There may be a variance in the Spyder lights resistances per lot or something.

cubiefan101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the hyperflash suddenly turn on after having them installed for a while. Or was it as soon as you installed them?

OP
OP
AngryBird

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had them in for 2 months now. It started within a day or so of putting them in.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

I can't get a hold of a service writer at any of the 3 dealerships within 100 miles of me. They all send me to VM and then don't call me back. Wish I could just flash the BCM myself.

Last edited: