Spot/Flood Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for those who know: when putting in the Rigid cubes in lower bumper valance is it best to have the spot on the inside and flood on the outside locations? That seems to make the most sense to me, however wont the spot light itself block some of the flood light by way of design with the Rigid brackets? Opinions?

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it matters much. Light does not block light, it just improves it.

OP
OP
srs

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it matters much. Light does not block light, it just improves it.

I was more concerned about the housing blocking the light of the flood as it is set back a bit from the other light, not that the light would block the light itself.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was more concerned about the housing blocking the light of the flood as it is set back a bit from the other light, not that the light would block the light itself.

I don't think I had any blockage with mine. The beam pattern is too narrow that close to the light with any pattern.

OP
OP
srs

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...I appreciate the input, I was thinking the same thing but wanted to see if anyone else had an issue.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No. Your thinking is sound. Are these the only lights you have? The important thing is find somewhere dark and open to aim everything. Your street at night is not sufficient.

You need as dark as possible.

OP
OP
srs

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are the first and only lights I have for now. I am putting a 20" in next then eventually either a 54" bar on top or Lightforce HID's somewhere....but for now, this is it.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

I'm probably going to try to mount up each side with a different configuration. One side spot then flood and the other the opposite. Then do what you said and hit the woods for a completely dark area and see if there is a difference in coverage. Easy enough to switch them out.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My opinion would be floods on the outside and then aim them a little to the outside as well. You'll get more "cornering" light that way. When I had my stock bumper that's what I did and it was amazing how much extra light is thrown to the sides to help you see around turns at night.

Baron138

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 20" Rigid (combo spot and flood) mounted in the middle grill. I have the 4" Rigids mounted with the spots on the insides aimed just outside the 20 spot beams. The 4" floods are mounted on the outside of the spots and angled so the inside of the beams just line up with the beams edges of the spots. This way the floods throw a nice pattern to the sides of the roadway. Helps a lot because I live in an area with a lot of deer and wildlife. This configuration gives a nice pattern of light way out in front of the truck as well as across from side to side. Adjusting the lights is like one of those mini Zen Gardens with the rocks and sand. Found myself playing around with the beams for over a week till I came up with what I have now. I also did 2 flush mount Rigids in the rear bumper teathered to the reverse lights and the #4 switch. They throw an amazing amount of light to the rear. All was done at KHC .

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

As for blocking light, I have no issues with that at all.