SDHQ Under Hood LED Light Install + Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
UNDERHOODLED.jpg

Ford Raptor Under Hood LED Light

Tools needed:

10mm socket
Adjustable wrench
2 zip ties

Difficulty:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Time:

10-30 minutes

I couldn't seem to find the post but I remember distinctly that back around the time FRF started I made a comment of how ridiculous it is that the Raptor (or F-150) doesn't have an under hood light. My 1983 Buick LeSabre had an under hood light for crying out loud.

Well, SDHQ nailed it and I decided it was time to put my money where my mouth is. Here is a short install tutorial to help you guys out, although it's very easy to do.

Here's what comes in the box:

Vision X Utility Flood LED - 500 Lumens
SDHQ hood bracket
Wiring adapter cord

DSC00822_zpsb1f4ca8f.jpg

*A note on the adapter cord. It appears SDHQ used the Ford factory harness plugs for the LED grille lights. As such, there is a white retainer pin on the male plug but it is not used in this application (unless you want to drill a hole to give it a home).

Step 1.

Remove the 2 grille bolts on either side of the hood latch strike using a 10mm socket.

514b80d5-54ca-4182-a1d7-bccbfdcac19d_zps036e81c9.jpg

DSC00827_zps26cd94bb.jpg

Step 2.

Install the Vision X Utility Flood LED to the SDHQ bracket and tighten the nuts using a 10mm socket and an adjustable wrench. I installed the LED so it's oriented to the right of the hood latch strike when installed.

DSC00825_zps64e18fdf.jpg

Step 3.

Install the wiring adapter cord. I used the plug from the "middle" LED grille light. Just depress the clip and pull apart.

DSC00828_zps41731692.jpg

Plug the female end of the adapter cord in to the male grille LED plug.

DSC00829_zps0dd367a4.jpg

Complete the circuit by plugging the male end of the adapter cord back in to the female grille LED plug.

DSC00832_zps5349b334.jpg

You will have this. The plug on the right with the green goes to the Vision X LED flood and the On/Off switch is there on the left.

DSC00835_zpse92a068e.jpg

Step 4.

Secure the SDHQ bracket to the hood using the grille bolts you removed earlier. Slide the bracket tabs under any wiring. Route the wire from the Vision X flood through the cutout in the SDHQ bracket. Plug in the Vision X LED flood.

DSC00836_zps2c4d0944.jpg

Step 5.

The wiring adapter cord provided by SDHQ is plenty long to get creative with how you secure and route any excess wiring. I routed most of the wiring up and behind the bracket and used 2 zip ties to secure the wiring and On/Off switch.

DSC00838_zps66c08ea1.jpg

Now for the moment of truth! Your LED grille lights need to be ON, and then hit the switch for the Vision X flood!

Before:

DSC00840_zpsf0a7844a.jpg

After:

DSC00842_zps76000856.jpg

DSC00843_zps746622f6.jpg

DSC00844_zps01ec6249.jpg

Review:

The light is SUPER bright, excessively bright even (and we all love excess :anitoof:). You can see straight down to the floor from your engine bay.

For me this light will come in handy during oil changes, fluid checks, engine bay cleaning, product installs under the hood, etc.

Then there's the added peace of mind that if you need to give a jump start or god forbid you're stranded on the side of the road you will have plenty of light under the hood. Your Raptor isn't ready for the zombie apocalypse without this mod! Overall I am very impressed with the packaging, fit/finish and quality of the package SDHQ has put together. Worth every penny IMO.

Let me know if you have any questions!

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up bird! Looks awesome I know I've been in a situation where I needed more light under the hood this is definitely something in gonna be doing soon but after the TRR my funds are going towards something else as we speak haha

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet Birdman!

You always have the best install write-ups!!! :happy160:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about installing this old Ford retractable light. Got one in my pils of stuff... ha ha ha only thing is they are not that great. I went through 2 of em on my old truck...
retractlight_zps21679713.jpg

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Nice write up.

So it only works with the amber lured led running lights on? I was hoping it was tied into the hood sensor.

Looks bright, I agree, the truck should have come with one. Then we could complian how bad it is, lol..

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
RPG and WSI present The South Dakota Buffalo Run - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

I'm sure you could easily figure out a way to make that work. The convenience factor and ease of installation is a plus with this kit. 2 bolts and 3 plugs? Pretty good...