Roof mount light bar glare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trevor*

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been getting really bad glare with my 50" roof mount light bar. Does anyone else have this problem? It is aimed up as much as possible without sacrificing usable light. It is almost easier to see without the light on.

I have been working on a solution for this. I will post after more testing.

Attachments

• IMAG0249.jpg
    IMAG0249.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 178

G & P Racing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We built custom arms to place our light rack out over the windshield to reduce glare. How do you have it mounted ?

Biggest

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been getting really bad glare with my 50" roof mount light bar. Does anyone else have this problem? It is aimed up as much as possible without sacrificing usable light. It is almost easier to see without the light on.

I have been working on a solution for this. I will post after more testing.

Chances are the beam pattern of your lights are "flood" sorry IMHO I would have put a Euro beam or Spot.

OP
OP
Trevor*

Trevor*

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an ebay special no name. It is supposed to be a 30 degree spot beam. Are the name brand a tighter beam?

MandR Automotive

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are different beam patterns. M&R has 12degrees (preferred), 30, and 60. One suggestion maybe can help is of you wrap your hood with flat black vinyl. Maybe others can assist

KX250R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you are in AZ you might want to stop by at SDHQ and talk to Jason. I know they have some 10 degree setups and might have some ideas for mounting to help with the glare. My light bar holds seven HIDs so its kinda apples and oranges to an LED bar. We did mount it out over the windshield and also went matt on the wrap on the hood to cut down on the glare. We still get some, worse if the windshield is dirty but kinda got used to it. Have a fare amount of night running with it now and could not go back to just bumper mounted lights. The added height really makes a big diff. Worth the effort.

OP
OP
Trevor*

Trevor*

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the M&R 12deg with a rigid roof mount or equivalent? No glare on windshield? I might have to upgrade to that light.

The light on the hood is not a problem at all just the light hitting all the dust on the windshield. The light would be fine if it cut off at the top of the hood.

SDHQJASON

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A matte wrap on the hood would help significantly cut down on the glare. A narrow beam like a 10 degree would be best, but with LED bars there is always going to be some bleed off in the light output. What a lot of race trucks do that run lights on the roof is make some kind of guard to prevent reflection off the hood. But, then again race truck don't have windshields to glare light off of.