Rigid Industries Light Bar Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McGrath4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 8 wires behind the glove box, I spliced the two wires together needed to power the AUX1 switch. I then ran the red wire coming out of the light bar to the same pass through wire in the engine bay located right behind the battery. (The other end of that same wire was one of the two wires I spliced together behind glove box). That's all I did. And of course grounded the black wire. The only wiring work on the inside of the cab was splicing the 2 appropriate wires together to provide power to AUX1

Sounds like a good install. Have you tried changing the fuse to see if the results are the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

PeytonW1313

Reaction score
No but I probably will try it. It's just crazy how this just started happening for no apparent reason.

OP
OP
P

PeytonW1313

Reaction score
I would assume fuse. But if the fuse was the problem would the light bar even be turning on at all?

McGrath4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume fuse. But if the fuse was the problem would the light bar even be turning on at all?

It's a j fuse inside the distribution box inside the engine bay. Agree with it probably not being the issue, but it's a good start to troubleshoot. I would also try disconnecting from your wiring and set up a new run from battery and ground to the light bar to see if you can replicate the issue with the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

PeytonW1313

Reaction score
Yeah I may have an old switch lying around somewhere. That way I will know if the light bar or the fuse/relay/etc. is the problem by isolating the problem.

rmschaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's more likely what you are seeing is a breakdown of the eternal circuitry of the light bar. The apparent cool down period is most likely a failing semiconductor that is breaking down at heat and load. Once it cools off the circuit performs as designed allowing light to energize again. Contact Rigid for a replacement.

BAD454SS

Banned
Reaction score
Check your Aux 1 relay in fuse box could be hanging up. Could be a bad connection where you spliced the wires together. Either under dash or in egine compartment .Can you make it not turn on when your at home in the driveway? If you can, i would try moving wires and splices and giving the relays a tap. To see if it then powers up the light bar. Worst case switch to aux 2 and see if it works. Another idea wire to your battery turn on and off if it screws up then that elimanates annything with truck wiring.