Rigid fog bracket fasteners- ADVICE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aR4CE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to tackle rigid dually fog brackets soon, and I'm throwing around mounting ideas.

-Kit comes with sheet metal screws, of which I'm not a fan in general.

Option 1: Deal with it and install as included.

Option 2: Nutsert/rivnut install. Time consuming, but more peace of mind since I can secure the bracket better.

Option 3: Rivets. Semi-permanent, but still deciding on structural integrity and movement.

Option 4: Build nut strip/plate which slides inside the support beam, into which I can secure bolts. (would require building plate or strips with nuts welded to them)

I'm looking for the best way to secure them where I won't get movement, backing-out, or CORROSION.

Any experience/ideas would help!

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well it must work pretty well with the sheet metal screws or else they would have out something else in the kit. And I haven't heard of anyone having problems with their brackets falling off or screws coming loose or out. So I'd say just go with that the kit has provided and if that doesn't work out and you do loose some screws or it falls of later then just rivet that shit on! Haha

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The sheet metal screws work but I used one set of: bolt, washers, lock washers and nut in an assembly to ensure that if one or more of the sheet metal screws came out the unit would still stay in place.

None of the hardware came loose during all the on and off road riding.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some have posted that they came loose and one member lost his in the desert. I used all 8 bolts and lock nuts, lock washers for mine.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Some have posted that they came loose and one member lost his in the desert. I used all 8 bolts and lock nuts, lock washers for mine.
That was Trey. There were also a couple of loose sets at TRR. I would definitely pick something other that the sheet metal screws.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tightened one screw too far and it stripped out. Replaced it with a bolt, lock washer and nut. This summer I'm going to take them down, make sure there is no rust from the drilled holes and then increase the hole size to fit a 1/4-20 bolt with lock washer and nuts. I check them periodically and they are still solid and have endured countless miles and several hundred off road.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine all but came out when I had mine, and I was NOT hard on my truck at all when it happened. I went to take them off as I traded in the truck and only needed to remove 1 screw on the drivers side and two on the passenger side. They were up in there solid, thankfully, because that woulda been nasty to run over!

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine all but came out when I had mine, and I was NOT hard on my truck at all when it happened. I went to take them off as I traded in the truck and only needed to remove 1 screw on the drivers side and two on the passenger side. They were up in there solid, thankfully, because that woulda been nasty to run over!

No kidding! That would have been an expensive FAIL!