Rigid Flush-Mount LEDs in Rear Bumper! Pics & How-To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually have dewalt stuff I got a few years ago. the drill, saw, sawsall, flashlight. I should have said lacking skill lol actually I'm just lazy but my excuse it no heated shop it's been getting up to 18 degrees is all. the lazy part is I could go to a buddy's shop but I'm also watching kids and dragging them along isn't fair to them.

OP
OP
Reptar

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
18*, 30*, it's all cold when it's below freezing. Didn't stop me LOL!

Well the rain stopped me from wiring them, still raining now (was hoping for snow!)

And skill? thats why I did the how-to, to show how easy it really is!

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the pics

Attachments

• IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1955.jpg
    IMG_1955.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 213

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome how-to write up. Thanks for posting this. Good timing too, my flush mounts are the only thing here yet that has to be installed. Except the mudflaps. I forgot about them. Purchased the same flaps in red. Thanks again for taking the time to post all the info.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Reptar

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
no prob. I've got a writeup on the pdp flaps too lol.

Still haven't wired the lights up yet. been busy wrenching on the HD truck.

bababooey32

Reaction score
Help!

RESERVING THIS POST FOR WIRING INSTRUCTIONS

It started raining after I finished the install, so I didn't get around to wiring them up yet. I'm itching bad though so stay tuned!

HOW CAN I GET MY ATTACHED PICS TO SHOW UP!?!?!?! THey used to at least show up as thumbnails. Now it only shows up as I have to click every one. WTF?!

Anyway I'll update this post with wiring details when I get to it, but here's how I plan to wire them.

It comes with a SPST switch, inline fuse, and connectors to both lights. I'm ditching the switch and replacing it with a DPST switch. One pole of the switch will go to the reverse light wire in the reciever hitch. When I go into reverse, the lights will automatically come on. The other pole will go to 12v continuous.

So with the switch "off", the lights will operate with my reverse lights.

With the switch "on", they'll turn on whenever I want them to. The idea of this is for at night when I'm loading my trailer up, or wrenching on something behind the truck in the dark. I'll be able to use the lights without having the key in the ignition.

I was going to hook them up to an aux switch so I can turn them on while driving if there's an azzhole behind me up my ***, but the bumper is angled slightly downward, so it wouldn't really work for an "F-U" light lol. Which is probably better off LOL! Saves me work and saves me getting into trouble. I'll put the switch under the bedrail, so it'll be protected from the weather, and protected from anybody walking by and turning my lights on. I'll probably build a bracket off the bak-flip rail. Also doing bed LEDs eventually, so I can build my bracket to hold 2 switches.

I'll update hopefully this weekend with wiring info!

Reptar, I'd love to get more details on your wiring approach. I'm no expert on wiring, so a little more detail would be awesome. What is a DPST switch? Did you use one of your upfitter switches built in to control the light when not in reverse? Etc...

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reptar, I'd love to get more details on your wiring approach. I'm no expert on wiring, so a little more detail would be awesome. What is a DPST switch? Did you use one of your upfitter switches built in to control the light when not in reverse? Etc...

DPST = Double pull single throw.

Dave

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

If memory serves its something to do with how many wires come into the switch and how many get sent out??

Dave

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought these for my rear bumper SRMF2 Flush mount. I was planning on mounting them to the plastic part of the bumper so I could avoid cutting into the metal part, but now it looks like I would have to trim some metal behind the plastic in order to center them up.
So I am now thinking of maybe putting them in the metal part of the bumper, maybe even two per side one amber and one white both diffused. The amber would be for driving in whiteout conditions and heavy fog so as not to get rear-ended.

Attachments

• SAM_0126.jpg
    SAM_0126.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
Reptar

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score

DPST = double pole, single throw. A normal switch is SPST (single pole single throw). So it has 2 prongs, and it's on or off. A DPST has 3 prongs. The lights go to the middle prong. The reverse light power and the aux power go to the outer 2 prongs. So when it's in 1 position it's powered by the reverse lights, in the other position it's powered by the aux power.

I bought these for my rear bumper SRMF2 Flush mount. I was planning on mounting them to the plastic part of the bumper so I could avoid cutting into the metal part, but now it looks like I would have to trim some metal behind the plastic in order to center them up.
So I am now thinking of maybe putting them in the metal part of the bumper, maybe even two per side one amber and one white both diffused. The amber would be for driving in whiteout conditions and heavy fog so as not to get rear-ended.

If you've gotta cut anyway I say just get the flush mount, they look more OEM style.

I'd watch out with amber ones on the rear for use on the street. DOT rules are red only on the rear, and amber on the other sides of the vehicle. Amber can only be for turn signals on the rear. I wouldn't use them as running lights as in white out conditions as it may confuse drivers who can't see much as it is in the white out and they may think its an oncoming vehicle with seeing amber lights instead of red.

OP
OP
Reptar

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to post, I got them partially wired and snapped 1 pic. The temps dropped too fast though and my fingers were frozen so I gave up for the night lol. Supposed to be nice this weekend so I'll finish up and get more pics.

This is a great shot though just to show the night and day difference between the factory reverse lights and these.

Goes without saying, rigid LEDs at the bottom, but I didn't even notice at first, you can see the rectangular yellowish blobs of light above them from the factory reverse lights barely doing anything lol.

Attachments

• Rigid-LED-01.jpg
    Rigid-LED-01.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 147