Rigid D2 foglight kit.... I think I am a moron or something

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dogknat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a D2 kit on a 2014? I am having problems with hole line-up. I am not sure about anyone else but there are already 2 pre-drilled holes on the drivers side of my truck so when I put the bracket up to mark my bracket holes one is half-mooning one of these holes. Also there is that plastic tree holding one of the shrouds that we are supposed to line up on, well when I line up on that the bracket sticks out of the front of the bumper when I remove it the hole is WAY off center. Basically for those that have installed one of these buggers how did you do the drivers side? Passenger side is smooth no holes so I could potentially drill anywhere just haven't checked the bumper spacing. I have pried out the shroud holder and ***** still not lining up using the seam in the metal as a guide not only that but the half moon gets worse. I already have Rigid warranty looking into this but I figured I would ask the knowledge base here for other ideas.

(Yes i know in the pictures I am off the seam a little but you try to do this with one hand trying to click the iphone picture button.)

Sorry for the rambling question 4 redbulls into this project day and I can taste colors.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 67

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lowered my bumper a bit in order to hide the top edge of the rigid bracket. Positioned it just behind the edge of the hole in the bumper. Clamped the bracket in place, drilled holes where needed and bolted it down. Worked perfectly and looks great.

I didn't follow any instructions as I bought the rigid brackets used and mounted Chinese EBay lights. Work great!

Attachments

• P1020505.jpg
    P1020505.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 61
  • P1020506.jpg
    P1020506.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
dogknat

dogknat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a call back from Rigid. Looks like this is a known issue on the 2014MY. According to their warranty department they are in process of developing new mounts because Ford adjusted the bumper differently. Could be FoS. I'm going to try to do a mockup and may be modifying my brackets while at the shop tomorrow.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pull the tree plug out and but it against the seam and also align with the back part of the frame (not the part that rounds over but the very back of the frame)
You don't use any of those existing holes Ford made in the frame except the one the tree plug goes back into, but don't worry if its not perfectly centered to that hole. Make your marks and drill 4 holes for each bracket. Also make sure that the front of your bracket is behind the rounded over edge of the bumper opening for the fog lights.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

This is what mine looks like installed.

9823d1342373035-how-adjust-bumper-rigid-d2-fog-lights-sam_6871.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

And this is how it lined up.

9824d1342373194-how-adjust-bumper-rigid-d2-fog-lights-sam_6872.jpg

Deletedone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate my mount. It rubs the hell out of the bumper and there's bit really an easy way to adjust if other than moving the bumper.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone above. If I was doing a fresh install on mine again, I'd push the entire bracket back until the lights were free from the bumper. Once I established sufficient clearance I'd cut off the excess and drill new mounting holes.

The poor fit of the plate with out bumpers rubbed about a .040" deep diagonal gouge across my month old D2's that I sent back for warranty work. The bumper finish is also rubbed off and gouged so now I'm going to have to do some corrosion prevention to keep it from rusting away. It is just a poor design of a simple bracket.

WReX24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The poor fit of the plate with our bumpers rubbed about a .040" deep diagonal gouge across my month old D2's that I sent back for warranty work. The bumper finish is also rubbed off and gouged so now I'm going to have to do some corrosion prevention to keep it from rusting away. It is just a poor design of a simple bracket.

Same issue, this is the bottom of the outside driver's side light, about a month after install.
20140127_183355.jpg

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got a call back from Rigid. Looks like this is a known issue on the 2014MY. According to their warranty department they are in process of developing new mounts because Ford adjusted the bumper differently. Could be FoS. I'm going to try to do a mockup and may be modifying my brackets while at the shop tomorrow.

Unfortunately I had this exact issue when I purchased and tried to install on my '11.

I opted not to put them on.