Reverse lighting options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinMs

Reaction score
Forgive me if this question has been beat to death, I tried the search function but apparently my computer is possessed by Ebay. After having my 11 for a month, the only complaint I have is reverse lighting. Reverse lighting in my truck is horrible and makes it a butt clinching experience to back up at night. This is partly due to the previous owner installing horrible, cheap, aftermarket tail lights to match the horrible, cheap, aftermarket headlights. I have a pair of LED replacement bulbs coming which should help a little but I know it won't make a that big of a difference. This leads me to aftermarket LED set ups. I have been reading all sorts of threads on the front of the truck but not much happening on getting the rear lit up. I would love to hear from those who have made modifications and additions. Where did you mount the extra lights? Is it possible to tie in the lights to come on with the reverse lights without using the upfitters as an on/off switch?
Sorry for the noob questions but that's what you get from a noob. Thanks in advance for those taking time to read and reply.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We offer our Apollo4 lights in a flush mount that works perfectly in the stock rear bumper. Check them out here: Apollo4 Flush Mount | Apollo Optics, Inc. | Premium LED Off-Road Lighting

And yes, our lights come with a full wiring harness so you could run the power directly from the battery and then tie the supplied relay into the rear trailer wiring to have the lights kick on when the truck is shifted into reverse.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put projector style LED bulbs in the reverse taillights. They do pretty well by themselves. When I really want to light up the area, I turn these bad boys on.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

cc15d3f3e9366c207d50585968b302d0.jpg

a0358592b659b30d50f1df712a14d645.jpg

d6051cb6f07a87052995e12ea548e8bd.jpg

@MotoMute style

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey one of your license plate bulbs is out. :)

Do you have a photo of the truck from the rear with the lights off? Just wondering how much these hang down. Thanks!

OP
OP
K

KevinMs

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Probably going to go with the flush mount set up, it has a nice almost factory look .

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey one of your license plate bulbs is out. :)

Do you have a photo of the truck from the rear with the lights off? Just wondering how much these hang down. Thanks!

It burned out and when I went to replace it, it was all corroded and gross. Put in an LED bulb and it worked. Go figure.

Me standing normal.
4cf2158595be1fb2a2193f8d53de47ee.jpg

Squatting down in a driver position. If someone is in a car behind me and too close, I can flip them on, they get blinded.
7c9f34f281d836925180fee9bd5f5d16.jpg

330801ac13b4adbea532ea1083d6c65a.jpg

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks! They're less noticeable than I thought they'd be. I'm torn between going the route you did and flush mounts in the rear bumper.

Also, I was considering doing the same thing with the tailgate Raptor badge because I know there's holes under the F-150 badge. Looks good!

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. I went this route because I've seen people use flush mounts and they either end up washing out the camera (defeating the purpose) or are angled down and can't blind tailgaters.