Removing rubber shroud in front grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When installing the front grill lights, there is a rubber curtain or shroud on each side of the radiator. It is held in place with some Phillips head screws that expand.

How do you remove those screws?

I tried turning them with a Phillips screwdriver but they just turn and turn. I'm sure there's a trick but it eludes me. I need to remove the left shroud so I can route the light bar wires more cleanly.

Help.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just use a pick and pry up on the phillips screw, it will lift out of the body, works like a rivet, once lifted out the body will follow.

Last edited:

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They are more of a push pin, than a screw. They will come out, you just need to work it out. Try getting a tiny screwdriver under the lip, it you don't have access to the back side.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Turn it slowly and angle the screwdriver putting pressure on just one side, works for me.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hold the outer piece while turning the screw with a manual screwdriver, not a drill. the trick is to use as little pressure as possible so you dont push the screw in while trying to remove it.

No offense to Nobusa, but this method has never worked for me. Maybe I push too hard with the screwdriver, but my experience with these things is that a lighter touch will allow the screwdriver bit to turn in the fastener - a bad thing since the screwdriver will wallow out the plastic fastener.

Seems to me that a fairly simple redesign of the fastener - with real threads that actually engage each other between the inner and outer parts of the fastener - would be a pretty easy thing to engineer.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense to Nobusa, but this method has never worked for me. Maybe I push too hard with the screwdriver, but my experience with these things is that a lighter touch will allow the screwdriver bit to turn in the fastener - a bad thing since the screwdriver will wallow out the plastic fastener.

Seems to me that a fairly simple redesign of the fastener - with real threads that actually engage each other between the inner and outer parts of the fastener - would be a pretty easy thing to engineer.

All they have to do is put the push type, like the ones on the valence and every where else, guess that's for the people who don't know any better, so if you lose it you buy new ones, different part number, different price, and they all do and work the same.