Reinforce behind the grill UniStrut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I don't really know where to post this, but the Unistrut I have fabbed up is for mounting lights, so I choose to put it here. If mods feel a better place exists, feel free to move it.

I have a piece of unistrut cut and mounted behind the grill to the two Torx screws that many of us use for 40" LED bars. I have two Whelen Micro Pioneers on it and plan to add more. The Unistrut is great, but it does twist torsionally a bit with the weight of the lights so high above the bar. It's slightly noticeable when driving and I hit some bumps. I thought about replacing it with some angle iron, but since I have the Unitstrut, I thought I'd investigate making it more rigid somehow.

Any ideas what I can bolt to it along it's length to strengthen it so it doesn't rotate on it's horizontal axis? Maybe blot a small piece of steel stock under it? Maybe bolt another piece of Unitstrut?

Thanks for your ideas,

Todd

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the SDHQ 40" mount that uses the same two Torx screws that you mention, but it also has two pieces of flat stock near the center of the light that run down and mount under the M6 hood latch bolts. I can take a photo later if you'd like. It's rock solid and I bet that the main tube of the mount alone isn't as torsionally rigid as a piece of Unistrut, so the two braces are surely doing their job.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which way do you have the unistrut mounted? It's stronger in resisting torsion in one direction than the other.

Also, The two torx bolts have a plastic nut on the bottom side. Please remove it and upgrade your mounting headwear to carriage bolts and nuts. The square shank will fit right into the frame. I've had the plastic fail while off-roading and the 40" bar bouncing around like a ***** start after his big moment. :biglaugh:

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the SDHQ 40" mount that uses the same two Torx screws that you mention, but it also has two pieces of flat stock near the center of the light that run down and mount under the M6 hood latch bolts. I can take a photo later if you'd like. It's rock solid and I bet that the main tube of the mount alone isn't as torsionally rigid as a piece of Unistrut, so the two braces are surely doing their job.

Yeah, a photo would be great. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Which way do you have the unistrut mounted? It's stronger in resisting torsion in one direction than the other.

Also, The two torx bolts have a plastic nut on the bottom side. Please remove it and upgrade your mounting headwear to carriage bolts and nuts. The square shank will fit right into the frame. I've had the plastic fail while off-roading and the 40" bar bouncing around like a ***** start after his big moment. :biglaugh:

Yukon Joe
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

I'll have to look at that bolt and see if I can pass my own bolt through with a new nut. The torx screws into something. Didn't think about replacing it altogether.

Right now the Unistrut is channel side down, so the lights are mounted to the "back" of the C channel.

And now all I can think about is ****. :hitit:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's the right way to have it oriented.
An easy fix would be to add a second piece of unistrut from the existing unistrut to the bottom of the radiator core sport. Add Right in the center of the unistrut, perpendicular to it. If You move the rubber mat out of the way, you'll see what I'm talking about. Or drop the skid plate. You'll see it. You have access to the top and bottom of the core support, so it would be easy to add. Also, they make attachments for joining two unistrut together.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok I'll get a photo in a bit.

I wouldn't trust a mount only secured by the two Torx screws fastened into plastic. Joe, do you remember what size carriage bolts you used?

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the right way to have it oriented.
An easy fix would be to add a second piece of unistrut from the existing unistrut to the bottom of the radiator core sport. Add Right in the center of the unistrut, perpendicular to it. If You move the rubber mat out of the way, you'll see what I'm talking about. Or drop the skid plate. You'll see it. You have access to the top and bottom of the core support, so it would be easy to add. Also, they make attachments for joining two unistrut together.

Yukon Joe
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

I will check soon. Thanks guys!

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok I'll get a photo in a bit.

I wouldn't trust a mount only secured by the two Torx screws fastened into plastic. Joe, do you remember what size carriage bolts you used?

I don't.... might have been 3/8 or 5/16. Once the plastic nut is removed, It fit perfect by inserting the bolt from underneath, then through the light bar mount and lock washer and nut.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man I need to wash my truck!

Here's the two flat pieces of the SDHQ mount that attach to the M6 bolts to the sides of the hood latch release. Not visible in the photo, but the main bar of the SDHQ mount is ~1" round stock with four welded light tabs and welded angle at each end to pick up the OE Torx screws.

Attachments

• IMG_1254[1].jpg
    IMG_1254[1].jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 87