Rear Facing Amber Fog - Flush Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you basing that on?

Experience.

I have followed people using the M&R set up. As well as similar placement with KC Cyclones. They simply are not bright enough to offer much good.

I have also followed people with ones flush mounted in their rear bumper, and below like you have them mounted. They are too low to the ground. Not only is the dust the thickest there and will have a more difficult time cutting through it. They get lost in any elevation change whatsoever. On a perfectly flat surface like a runway maybe. The higher you can get them the better. Even in convoy in heavy rain on the highway I've followed people with them that low and it is simply inadequate.

Fusco0520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I tried them at night and it does not bathe the inside of the truck. They sit very close to he window.

Your amber lights are mounted inside the cab to the backseat headrests and they shine through the factory tinted rear window and they don't bathe the inside of the cab with reflected amber light???

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Sounds like a good idea. I'd like to see what it looks/works like. Unfortunately their website doesn't show it installed or functioning

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

So are these lights a waste then? I thought they were really bright but I don’t have any experience as you do. What should I do then? I have a cover on the bed and didn’t know where else to mount them. The miller mount is very nice but didn’t wanna spend 700$ or more on something.
Experience.

I have followed people using the M&R set up. As well as similar placement with KC Cyclones. They simply are not bright enough to offer much good.

I have also followed people with ones flush mounted in their rear bumper, and below like you have them mounted. They are too low to the ground. Not only is the dust the thickest there and will have a more difficult time cutting through it. They get lost in any elevation change whatsoever. On a perfectly flat surface like a runway maybe. The higher you can get them the better. Even in convoy in heavy rain on the highway I've followed people with them that low and it is simply inadequate.

Fusco0520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some night photos. Also one looking into review mirror. Inside the cab it doesn’t bother me at all.

Attachments

• 6EEB6558-4B56-4A84-9AAD-681707FF99BF.jpg
    6EEB6558-4B56-4A84-9AAD-681707FF99BF.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 5B727114-EB59-4769-8763-5839E5F0313D.jpg
    5B727114-EB59-4769-8763-5839E5F0313D.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 77D8B769-BC56-4018-A8D8-C92A23A92561.jpg
    77D8B769-BC56-4018-A8D8-C92A23A92561.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 84
  • B5F34D57-C258-4268-9020-7B4BA774055A.jpg
    B5F34D57-C258-4268-9020-7B4BA774055A.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
R

Red Ghost

Reaction score
@Red Ghost @WhatExit? The miller light retains ALL factory functionality. It has the three red LED's that function with the headlights and brake lights. The white S2 on the right side functions as your normal bed light does. This has the added benefit of the amber S2 to be utilized as a dust light. It can be configured with either two white or two amber. They can be wired to an up-fitter as you please. If you guys Facebook there are some pictures there of his set up. I know there are some people here running it. I can't remember now who in my group had it installed last snoball but it is a really good option.
@Fusco0520 I know I saw TJ tell you in another thread that those lights are junk. You got robbed. See if you can return them. They are grossly inadequate as a dust light. Seem great in theory but they simply are not bright enough. Even opening your rear slider they still are garbage. And too low to be seen over your tailgate as your truck rolls with the terrain.

That holds true for you other two that have/want to mount them in the bumper. Far to low to do any good at all. Wasting your time, don't even bother.
On the Miller setup... very cool. A little too race/aftermarket looking for what I want, but I bet it works brilliantly. Hoping I can find a more stealthy option. Thanks for the clarification though @Mike175

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Red Ghost I agree with that assessment. I also find it cost prohibitive as well. You could try this route: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f81/rear-facing-amber-cargo-light-48121/
Stay factory looking. Not sure how well they work but seems like a great solution for you.

@Fusco0520 that seems to be the million dollar question. There are many options out there in an attempt to solve this. The one you have does check the requirement, but ultimately doesn't function as well as advertised. You have a Gen II so magnets to either side of the 3rd brake light wont work, which is a good option for a Gen I. I certainly understand you not wanting to cut holes in your new truck like silentshooter did. Though that is a really great set up.
You could look into a set up like the link above. If I were you I would fab up some angle iron uprights between the cab and bed. Snoball is no crazy beat fest so I wouldn't worry about them making contact with the cab. Drilling through the front of the bed and attaching with some nuts and bolts. Add stiffeners and backing plates if necessary. Run temporary power through the rear slider and plug in to your various power sources. Or to an upfitter. It would be simple and non permanent. Keep them laying on the floor or behind your back seat and before the drivers meeting head out to the parking lot throw them on and be good to go for the weekend.
I am sure you have stake pockets too. It appears you have enough room with your bed cover to access them. Make some uprights with some 2x4's or smaller, with a cross member at roof height. Paint and attach lights there. Disassemble and keep in your bed and again morning of, go out and put together. Those may not be the sexiest option, but ultimately they will be functional. And that is what is most important. They are a safety requirement. As long as they aid in keeping your truck and the guy or gals truck behind you in one piece and all occupants going home the way the arrived that's what is important.

Fusco0520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I think maybe I’ll sell these and work on something else. I might just dump the coin on the miller setup. He is a friend of mine, but was just avoiding dumping that much since I have other mods I wanna do and to be honest being from Ohio any run I wanna do is a drive for me.

@Red Ghost I agree with that assessment. I also find it cost prohibitive as well. You could try this route: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f81/rear-facing-amber-cargo-light-48121/
Stay factory looking. Not sure how well they work but seems like a great solution for you.

@Fusco0520 that seems to be the million dollar question. There are many options out there in an attempt to solve this. The one you have does check the requirement, but ultimately doesn't function as well as advertised. You have a Gen II so magnets to either side of the 3rd brake light wont work, which is a good option for a Gen I. I certainly understand you not wanting to cut holes in your new truck like silentshooter did. Though that is a really great set up.
You could look into a set up like the link above. If I were you I would fab up some angle iron uprights between the cab and bed. Snoball is no crazy beat fest so I wouldn't worry about them making contact with the cab. Drilling through the front of the bed and attaching with some nuts and bolts. Add stiffeners and backing plates if necessary. Run temporary power through the rear slider and plug in to your various power sources. Or to an upfitter. It would be simple and non permanent. Keep them laying on the floor or behind your back seat and before the drivers meeting head out to the parking lot throw them on and be good to go for the weekend.
I am sure you have stake pockets too. It appears you have enough room with your bed cover to access them. Make some uprights with some 2x4's or smaller, with a cross member at roof height. Paint and attach lights there. Disassemble and keep in your bed and again morning of, go out and put together. Those may not be the sexiest option, but ultimately they will be functional. And that is what is most important. They are a safety requirement. As long as they aid in keeping your truck and the guy or gals truck behind you in one piece and all occupants going home the way the arrived that's what is important.

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally understand your situation. I too have to travel considerable distances to play. That's why I think a temporary solution may be best for you, considering how infrequent you may use it.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The miller light retains ALL factory functionality. It has the three red LED's that function with the headlights and brake lights. The white S2 on the right side functions as your normal bed light does. This has the added benefit of the amber S2 to be utilized as a dust light. It can be configured with either two white or two amber. They can be wired to an up-fitter as you please. If you guys Facebook there are some pictures there of his set up. I know there are some people here running it. I can't remember now who in my group had it installed last snoball but it is a really good option.

How can we see the Miller setup? (I don't do Facebook) Can someone post some pics here of the Miller light?

McGrath4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
777530099ad74c3a55cbfc19141736ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

7fedaeb34019f38ca1ad1ff4a5966823.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

5fbddfe824cb8d6760d6d24cabacd8ba.jpg