Real, functional fogs - cheap too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't run flood lights as "fog" lamps. This means all multi-lens LED cubes and bars. None of them have any optical design in them to throw a wide, flat topped beam. When used in fog, snow, rain or dust conditions, the light they throw vertically will be reflected back into your eyes. They are also annoying to other drivers by throwing light vertically into their eyes when someone has them on trying to look cool. This means you, street queen Raptor west of Flagstaff on old 66, a couple weeks ago.

Get DOT approved fog lamps.

PIAA | LP 530 High Intensity LED Fog Light Kit #05370
My Hella Lights :: Optilux® 4" LED Fog Lamp Kit
The New Model 6145 & 6150 LED Fog Lights - Other - J.W. Speaker Corporation
http://www.kchilites.com/4-gravity-led-fog-light-kc-1493-fog-beam-street-legal.html

You AND other drivers will appreciate these better than flood lights.

OP
OP
MTRazz

MTRazz

Reaction score
Don't run flood lights as "fog" lamps. This means all multi-lens LED cubes and bars. None of them have any optical design in them to throw a wide, flat topped beam. When used in fog, snow, rain or dust conditions, the light they throw vertically will be reflected back into your eyes. They are also annoying to other drivers by throwing light vertically into their eyes when someone has them on trying to look cool. This means you, street queen Raptor west of Flagstaff on old 66, a couple weeks ago.

Get DOT approved fog lamps.

PIAA | LP 530 High Intensity LED Fog Light Kit #05370
My Hella Lights :: Optilux® 4" LED Fog Lamp Kit
The New Model 6145 & 6150 LED Fog Lights - Other - J.W. Speaker Corporation
4" Gravity LED Fog Light - KC #1493 (Fog Beam - Street Legal)

You AND other drivers will appreciate these better than flood lights.

Thanks phydough! I just need to figure out where/how to mount them then. Should I build a mount in the fog holes, or just get a light bar and stack them on?

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the old Marchal fog lights used on the old Mustangs and Mark VII's? They were the shit back in those days... I have a few sets if considering.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are holes in the cross-member just behind the cutouts in the factory bumper. I made fog light brackets out of thick mild steel stock that I bought from Lowe's. No bending required. Just make them long enough or you'll light up the inside of your bumper and not get as much light out on the road where you need it.

I'm with phydough - get DOT approved fog lights. It seems silly to have to say it, but only fog lights function as fog lights should in fog. You will find that almost no LED products are DOT approved for street/highway use. I think that only the recently released KC LED products are DOT approved. That's not a problem, because there's absolutely nothing wrong with halogen fog lights, and you can get halogen bulbs that are yellow/amber and don't reflect light back at you as nobusa stated. Some here have written that white bulbs with blue tinted lenses also do not reflect light back at you in the fog and particularly in falling snow/sleet. I run two sets of halogen fog lamps. In the bumper cutouts I have rectangular halogen fog lamps with blue tinted lenses, and inboard on the lower grills I have fog lamps with amber bulbs.

Last edited:

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Rigid amber floods on the outside and white spots on the inside in the stock bumper. Ambers are not blinding at all if you aim the left one down slightly. I run the ambers during the day in inclement weather and at night all the time. Never been flashed and passed plenty of cops with no issues. I have each set wired to a different upfitter and then the spots tied to the high beam switch using a relay.

It's a nice setup and made the stock halogens at least livable. Once I upgraded to HIDs the spots almost weren't needed but more light is always better. The ambers do a great job lighting up the ditches and spotting deer.

Stang I'd love to hear how you ran those spots to the high beam switch.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stang I'd love to hear how you ran those spots to the high beam switch.
Super easy with a relay using the high beam wire off the passenger side harness as a trigger. There's a good post on here somewhere on exactly how to do it. I'll try to look for it later. Get a weatherproof sealed relay from parts express.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You've got a couple options with our Apollo Optics lights.

A4Regular-new_1024x1024.png
You can run our Apollo4 with true amber LEDs

Or you could run the white Apollo4 lights in either a 5watt or 10watt (per LED) option with spot or flood optics and then add removable amber, translucent covers.

Or you could run our Apollo6 lights in a driving beam pattern with 6 5-watt LEDs and put amber covers over them as well.

A6Regular-new_1024x1024.png

Here are links for your reference:

Apollo4: Apollo4 | Apollo Optics, Inc. | Premium LED Off-Road Lighting

Apollo6: Apollo6 | Apollo Optics, Inc. | Premium LED Off-Road Lighting