Raptor wiring project 2.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sj-CHI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently completed a fairly large (by my standards) wiring project on my 2014 Raptor and along the way documented the process, parts, and learnings I went through.

This project got started when like many of you I got frustrated with having too few auxiliary switches for the lights and accessories I have on my truck. I also wanted to do some custom wiring features that would take some engineering and lastly my plan was to allow for expandability.

I decided on the Bussmann RTMR Fuse and Relay box as the base for my new system. It's a great foundation for fuses and relays that offers lots of expansion and customization. I found a resource online that builds boxes with all the accessory and switch wires ready to go. After receiving the box I ended up tearing it apart and starting from scratch. Nothing against the person that built it, in fact the work was very high quality, I just wanted to do it different and upgrade some of the accessory wires to 10ga. This required me to purchase a bunch of specialized tools and materials to re-build the fuse box. In retrospect I should have built the fuse and relay box myself from the start and I would have saved some money.

I developed a wiring plan to accommodate all my accessories (sorry about the rough PowerPoint drawing).

1. Front D2s -- clear
2. Front D2s -- Amber
3. Front light bar (top)
4. Front light bar (bottom)
5. Hood lights (just added these, D-SS Sideshooters)
6. Rear bumper lights
7. Rear facing lights above bed (Amber)
8. Bed cargo lights (new)
9. Compressor

Slide1.jpg

One of the functions I planned was a strobe feature that would allow me to strobe my front hood lights and rear facing amber lights (above the bed). I wanted to be able to hit a switch that would allow the strobes to fire even if the hood and rear lights were off. Additionally, I wanted the same switch to work if either or both of the lights were on. For this I turned to Able Manufacturing and purchased two of their SHO-ME modules. I got in touch with Able and they helped tweak the wiring to meet my requirements.

Slide3.jpg

The whole fuse box and various connections needed to be waterproof so I decided to use Metrics’s-Pack 280 connectors. I picked up some good tips from a guy who documented his own build and put a ton of detail into the process (DIY Bussmann RTMR Fuse Block, Part 1 – Introduction | Bodenzord). The connectors would allow me to remove the whole Bussman box fairly easily if needed.

IMG_4351.jpg

I needed a way to mount the fuse box in the truck. I wanted it under the hood but didn’t want to interfere with any other truck functions and I wanted a clean install that could be removed if needed. I built a mock up of the bracket first in cardboard and then out of wood. My brother in-law had his company turn the wood mock up into a 3D CAD document that could be taken to a local fabricator. He found a shop that could fab the piece out of aluminum and powder coat it for us. The end product is a very clean, strong but lightweight mounting bracket that gets bolted to the battery box.

IMG_4267.jpg

17 03-03 1749 - Copy.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2073.jpg

I finished up the Fuse box build, mounted it to the new bracket and started adding ground busbars and a fuse holder for the master fuse. Note: all the small Metri-pack connectors are crimped, soldered and finished with adhesive lined heat shrink for durability.

IMG_0620.jpg

The switch harness and connector for under the hood is completed.

IMG_4417.jpg

Early on I decided to use a 6 position switch plate and chose one from Crown Offroad. I like the overhead location for the switches and I was able to source a solid red switch for my strobe function that would fit cleanly in the Crown plate. Finally I needed to find a momentary switch that I could use to change the strobe pattern. Initially I wanted to incorporate that in the red strobe rocker switch (off - on, momentary). Maybe this type of rocker exists but not int the form I wanted. I opted for a small bullet push button that I mounted to the right of the switch plate.

IMG_4443.jpg

Finally time to install the whole build in the truck and finish all the connections. I made up 4ga battery cables and ground connections for the frame and negative battery terminal and bolted my setup to the battery box. I taped into the passenger seat fuse box (fuse 34) for a switched power source and dremeled the cover to allow it to all close up.

IMG_4439.jpg

The end product took longer than expected and I know there are cheaper ways to accomplish what I built but I had a plan that I wanted to see through and the challenge was fun! Next project…..

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently completed a fairly large (by my standards) wiring project on my 2014 Raptor and along the way documented the process, parts, and learnings I went through.

This project got started when like many of you I got frustrated with having too few auxiliary switches for the lights and accessories I have on my truck. I also wanted to do some custom wiring features that would take some engineering and lastly my plan was to allow for expandability.

I decided on the Bussmann RTMR Fuse and Relay box as the base for my new system. It's a great foundation for fuses and relays that offers lots of expansion and customization. I found a resource online that builds boxes with all the accessory and switch wires ready to go. After receiving the box I ended up tearing it apart and starting from scratch. Nothing against the person that built it, in fact the work was very high quality, I just wanted to do it different and upgrade some of the accessory wires to 10ga. This required me to purchase a bunch of specialized tools and materials to re-build the fuse box. In retrospect I should have built the fuse and relay box myself from the start and I would have saved some money.

I developed a wiring plan to accommodate all my accessories (sorry about the rough PowerPoint drawing).

1. Front D2s -- clear
2. Front D2s -- Amber
3. Front light bar (top)
4. Front light bar (bottom)
5. Hood lights (just added these, D-SS Sideshooters)
6. Rear bumper lights
7. Rear facing lights above bed (Amber)
8. Bed cargo lights (new)
9. Compressor

View attachment 87724

One of the functions I planned was a strobe feature that would allow me to strobe my front hood lights and rear facing amber lights (above the bed). I wanted to be able to hit a switch that would allow the strobes to fire even if the hood and rear lights were off. Additionally, I wanted the same switch to work if either or both of the lights were on. For this I turned to Able Manufacturing and purchased two of their SHO-ME modules. I got in touch with Able and they helped tweak the wiring to meet my requirements.

View attachment 87727

The whole fuse box and various connections needed to be waterproof so I decided to use Metrics’s-Pack 280 connectors. I picked up some good tips from a guy who documented his own build and put a ton of detail into the process (DIY Bussmann RTMR Fuse Block, Part 1 – Introduction | Bodenzord). The connectors would allow me to remove the whole Bussman box fairly easily if needed.

View attachment 87729

I needed a way to mount the fuse box in the truck. I wanted it under the hood but didn’t want to interfere with any other truck functions and I wanted a clean install that could be removed if needed. I built a mock up of the bracket first in cardboard and then out of wood. My brother in-law had his company turn the wood mock up into a 3D CAD document that could be taken to a local fabricator. He found a shop that could fab the piece out of aluminum and powder coat it for us. The end product is a very clean, strong but lightweight mounting bracket that gets bolted to the battery box.

View attachment 87730

View attachment 87731

View attachment 87732

I finished up the Fuse box build, mounted it to the new bracket and started adding ground busbars and a fuse holder for the master fuse. Note: all the small Metri-pack connectors are crimped, soldered and finished with adhesive lined heat shrink for durability.

View attachment 87733

The switch harness and connector for under the hood is completed.

View attachment 87734

Early on I decided to use a 6 position switch plate and chose one from Crown Offroad. I like the overhead location for the switches and I was able to source a solid red switch for my strobe function that would fit cleanly in the Crown plate. Finally I needed to find a momentary switch that I could use to change the strobe pattern. Initially I wanted to incorporate that in the red strobe rocker switch (off - on, momentary). Maybe this type of rocker exists but not int the form I wanted. I opted for a small bullet push button that I mounted to the right of the switch plate.

View attachment 87735

Finally time to install the whole build in the truck and finish all the connections. I made up 4ga battery cables and ground connections for the frame and negative battery terminal and bolted my setup to the battery box. I taped into the passenger seat fuse box (fuse 34) for a switched power source and dremeled the cover to allow it to all close up.

View attachment 87736

The end product took longer than expected and I know there are cheaper ways to accomplish what I built but I had a plan that I wanted to see through and the challenge was fun! Next project…..

Great job, clean install, I did the same. Using the battery box to support my bracket on my set up.makes it so much easier staying under the hood.

FN-2187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one hell of a job. funny you posted this, I was just looking for some ideas on other forums when I came across this thread. Not sure if its too much to ask, but is there any way you could PM me what you ordered as far as terminals, plugs, etc? Id like to do a similar setup with my raptor.

OP
OP
sj-CHI

sj-CHI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one hell of a job. funny you posted this, I was just looking for some ideas on other forums when I came across this thread. Not sure if its too much to ask, but is there any way you could PM me what you ordered as far as terminals, plugs, etc? Id like to do a similar setup with my raptor.

Yeah no problem. I kept a spreadsheet with all the materials with part #'s I used. Happy to PM that to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah no problem. I kept a spreadsheet with all the materials with part #'s I used. Happy to PM that to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just post it up. I would be interested as well.