Ran wires front to back.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LITTLEELVISDAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. I finally got my reverse led's installed today and I am not one to want to cut into the stock harness. Soooo. I decided to run a 16/6 trailer harness from front up fitter connections area, to the rear bumper area. Sounds simple enough. But I wanted to permanently hide this cable. I decided to snake in in the passengers frame rail . After a day of painstaking fiddling, I did it. Yes it's a rubber insulated cable. It worked nicely and isn't rubbing on anything. Now I can have any option I want in the future with minimal effort and turn the truck back to stock in minutes.

Question I have is should I use all 6 for positive wires only or use 3 of the 6 for a good ground to the battery ground (fused).

Pics if anybody wants them?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you decide to ground outside the vehicle, you will need to grind the metal for a proper ground. i usually go high behind one of the tail lights and put a couple layers of amsoil over it to keep from corrosion. but almost all the time i use a factory ground inside the vehicle. the less you grind externally, the better.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another good spot is above the spair tire, using the bolt where the trailer plug harness is grounded, You can also pick up the reverse signal, from the same harness (GRAY/ BROWN TRACE) ,I used a waterproof relay center rear above spair tire, tapped into the Gray/brown trace, reverse signal with a weather tight plug, and ran a 12/2 marine grade romex throught the chassis, 1-wire batt 12v, 1-wire to upfitter #4 pass through wire, all connectoins done at rear. Just adding a different option for the aux reverse bypass, what makes it nice is the section of harness can be removed to work on.

Attachments

• dually-1.jpg
    dually-1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 63
  • Dually-2.jpg
    Dually-2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Dually-3.jpg
    Dually-3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Dually-4.jpg
    Dually-4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 105
  • aux reverse bypass.jpg
    aux reverse bypass.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
L

LITTLEELVISDAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front frame rail with new cable ran through it.

Front upfitter wire area. Just ran so wires haven't been cleaned up yet for future use.

Used the black wire in the new bundle to provide a good battery ground to the rear.

rear frame rail above the spare. Haven't cleaned up spare wires yet.

closer look of the rear frame with new cable running through it.

I do like the grounding block you posted earlier. I might use that with my new battery ground.