Question about wiring lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so heres my goal: I want to hook up a set of lights (specifically TMX's Blackhawk X1) so they automatically turn on when I put the truck in reverse. Sounds easy right? Here's the catch... I also want to be able to turn them on manually through the upfitter switches. I drew up a "wiring diagram" of how I think it'll work but I need someone that knows what the hell they're doing to verify it and if its wrong, tell me what i need to do.

Attachments

• 1F-150RAP-2-X1WD.jpg
    1F-150RAP-2-X1WD.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 78

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depending on the size of the fuse for the back up lights you should be able to splice the lights into the wire for the backup lights then splice it off to go to the switch. When they're spliced into the backup lights its like having them on a switch cause only power goes to the lights when it's in revers. Try hooking them up to the back up lights first to make sure the fuse can handle the amps drawn than go from there.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

The diagram is showing you splicing then to the brake lights which isn't what you're trying to achieve here you'll have to take the tail light off and follow the wire for the reverse lights and splice into it for power then run the ground wire either to the frame or another grounding wire to splice into.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lovely diagram. haha. if you take a spdt relay you can wire it to make it work. connect 85 to the switch, the 87a to reverse, connect 30 to the lights, connect87 to constant and 86 to ground

OP
OP
Steve-O

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
your diagram is "before"

here is the "after"

View attachment 28130

thats f-ing hilarious!!!!!!! ive been laughing at that for the last hour.

lovely diagram. haha. if you take a spdt relay you can wire it to make it work. connect 85 to the switch, the 87a to reverse, connect 30 to the lights, connect87 to constant and 86 to ground

what the hell are these numbers?!?!?! are those the wires to the tail lights? do you have an actual wiring diagram with all that on it?

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably need to slide your seat forward a bit too...Looks like you're on your tippy toes, and you might lose good throttle control when you're in the really rough stuff!! :driver:

You need a bigger smile too!! :) Don't look so serious when you're rockin your Raptor like that!!

Last edited:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me I wouldn't tie into the taillights. I have mine hooked to the trailer plug and if you want to run power to it for the ability to turn on anytime just install a one-way diode to stop the power from feeding back into the plug

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what the hell are these numbers?!?!?! are those the wires to the tail lights? do you have an actual wiring diagram with all that on it?

those numbers are standard on all automotive spdt relays. pick one up and you will see what i am talking about.

also, about diodes. they will work, but the higher the amperage, the bigger they get. i dont know what the current draw is, so you would have to check. relays (from what i have seen) seem to be more reliable. i have seen more diodes fail compared to relays, and some have allowed current to pass through when they are not supposed to be able to. i have seen fried equipment, but thats electronic stuff, not so much lights.