Power Distribution Box Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDeedsInc

Reaction score
I've searched but haven't found anything. I want to add bed lights and air compressor (already half way done) but would like to wire to the power distribution box. Has anyone taken theirs apart and added circuits? I'm thinking since I have holes where fuses would go and power already there I could add wiring and a fuse for each circuit I want to add. That way I wouldn't have inline fuses hanging everywhere.

Also been looking for a wiring diagram or schematic for the 2012 SCREW but that search came up empty too. Could someone point me in the right direction for that too?

I usually try to find the info on my own but I've been coming up empty so far.

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bed lights are easy to wire, an air compressor probably draws a lot of current, so that is more difficult. What compressor are you using? Is there a reason you don't want to use the upfitter switches?

OP
OP
D

DirtyDeedsInc

Reaction score
I'm using a VIAIR 450C compressor and a 3 gallon tank. Mostly for air horns right now but going to add an air port for anything else at the back. Max draw 23 amps so I'll use a 30 amp fuse. Was thinking of using fuse 11, power running board motors, as that's not being used and would be a 30 amp according to the manual anyhow. For bed lights I'm installing a switch in the bed that I want hot all the time so I don't have to get in the truck to turn something on to get bed lights on. I'm being lazy. Thought about Upfitter switches but already used 2 and have possible plans for the others. Bed lights are already mounted and most of the wire ran. Just have to bore out an existing hole for the switch and connect power. Well, and buy some more wire. Wire I have left from other projects will end up at least 2' short if I run bed lights from PDB.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just did my bed lights and wired directly to the battery with a switch in the bed. Negative gounded to to screw for the taillight. I used the existing hole in the right side of the bed in front of the tail light. I'll take pictures in a minute.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
****** ass glue that's fling off

egajeve6.jpg

Finger hole I cut in the bedrug for the switch

qu2yrupe.jpg

Where I snaked the negatives to.

yqehapym.jpg

Bedrug pulled back so you can see the switch.

paju7a4e.jpg

Not the cleanest install but it works. I need to figure out something for the led strip since the "sticky" backing is such crap. This is the second strip I bought because the first one was even worse and some of the LEDs were broken.

I need to install those headers still...

OP
OP
D

DirtyDeedsInc

Reaction score
I used 3M trim glue on top of the 3M tape to get my strip to stick good. So far so good. I think I'm going to install the fuse and jump the relay for the 12V TT charging circuit then tap power there.

goathearder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im curious to see what you end up with DirtyDeedsInc cause I am putting an ARB twin compressor in with a 50 amp max draw and I would rather not have a ton of wires hanging off the battery either.

I was thinking of using some Blue Seas bus bars but not totally sure yet.

I also want to use one of the upfitters to turn the compressor on an off but not actually supply the main power to it so I need to figure that out as well.