Outlaw hood mounts and HIDX lights from Alternative Off Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
True, the Euro Beam of the HIDX lights gives a really nice spread with just two lights. I'm trying to source a light with a spot beam as well because I know some customers are requesting that too, BUT with that being said the Euro beam seems to fit the bill for most customers

OP
OP
puddle hunter

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, got some more pics tonight after the game. Hopefully this will show exactly the pattern of the lights, as well as the distance. I currently have the lights aimed, roughly, straightforward.
As before, I took several pics trying to replicate what the eyes see. The one difference between these and the garage pics, was the color hue. All the pics weren't able to pick up on the subtle blue the lights shine. That being said, the brightness levels, are as accurate as I could get them.

First set are measured out shots taken from beside the truck. The cone is at 100' and the 6' fence, as well as my dad, are at 180'.
Headlights low beam:
IMG_0322.jpg
HIDX only:
IMG_0325.jpg
Zoom of HIDX only to show light height in trees:
IMG_0327.jpg

The next 4 we took just to show objects in the beam.. and so I could blind my dad some more. :waytogo:
Low beam:
IMG_0329.jpg
HIDX only:
IMG_0332.jpg
High beam:
IMG_0342.jpg
HIDX only... that fence behind the furthest tree trunk is just over 200' away
IMG_0343.jpg

Now for some distance shots. The orchards edge is approximately 200' from the bumper and the trees are spaced about 15-20 apart.
low beam:
IMG_0350.jpg
High beam:
IMG_0358.jpg
HIDX and low beam:
IMG_0349.jpg

Those last two shots really tell the story for me. These lights may not throw any further than the high beams, but they definitely throw more light for that same distance over a wider area.

Now, picking out objects at 200-300 feet may not be enough for some of the shenanigans this truck can get you into. But just imagine these paired with a nice long range set in the center of the bumper, or even roof mounted. Then you've got yourself some very capable lighting!:peace:

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Alrighty, got some more pics tonight after the game. Hopefully this will show exactly the pattern of the lights, as well as the distance. I currently have the lights aimed, roughly, straightforward.
As before, I took several pics trying to replicate what the eyes see. The one difference between these and the garage pics, was the color hue. All the pics weren't able to pick up on the subtle blue the lights shine. That being said, the brightness levels, are as accurate as I could get them.

First set are measured out shots taken from beside the truck. The cone is at 100' and the 6' fence, as well as my dad, are at 180'.
Headlights low beam:
IMG_0322.jpg
HIDX only:
IMG_0325.jpg
Zoom of HIDX only to show light height in trees:
IMG_0327.jpg

The next 4 we took just to show objects in the beam.. and so I could blind my dad some more. :waytogo:
Low beam:
IMG_0329.jpg
HIDX only:
IMG_0332.jpg
High beam:
IMG_0342.jpg
HIDX only... that fence behind the furthest tree trunk is just over 200' away
IMG_0343.jpg

Now for some distance shots. The orchards edge is approximately 200' from the bumper and the trees are spaced about 15-20 apart.
low beam:
IMG_0350.jpg
High beam:
IMG_0358.jpg
HIDX and low beam:
IMG_0349.jpg

Those last two shots really tell the story for me. These lights may not throw any further than the high beams, but they definitely throw more light for that same distance over a wider area.

Now, picking out objects at 200-300 feet may not be enough for some of the shenanigans this truck can get you into. But just imagine these paired with a nice long range set in the center of the bumper, or even roof mounted. Then you've got yourself some very capable lighting!:peace:

Nice shots!!

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm putting mine on later this week with the 4" Hella OptiLux HID's. I have the VisionX 4500 HID's but when you compare them side by side it just doesn't make any sense to spend nearly $300 more on the VisionX lights for as little as I will use them.

A big thanks to BigJ and Puddle Jumper for providing these write ups to help guide me through the install process, I'm sure they will be a huge help. I'll post pics when it's done.

Tejas

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm putting mine on later this week with the 4" Hella OptiLux HID's. I have the VisionX 4500 HID's but when you compare them side by side it just doesn't make any sense to spend nearly $300 more on the VisionX lights for as little as I will use them.

A big thanks to BigJ and Puddle Jumper for providing these write ups to help guide me through the install process, I'm sure they will be a huge help. I'll post pics when it's done.

Tejas

Those are a good option as well

OP
OP
puddle hunter

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Tejas

Puddle Jumper... I like that.. makes me sound all, world traveler like! :waytogo:

Good luck Tejas, you're gonna love this mount location! I was going to use the Optilux, but they looked identical to the HIDX and I decided to support a site vendor!

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score

Tejas

These lights look alot like the HIDX and the Kragen.

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought them on the mega cheap so I had to bow out on supporting a vendor this time. Alternative will get my business on the next light purchase, that much I can guarantee.

I was wondering if you would catch the "puddle jumper" remark! No disrespect there.

Tejas

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Puddle Jumper... I like that.. makes me sound all, world traveler like! :waytogo:

Good luck Tejas, you're gonna love this mount location! I was going to use the Optilux, but they looked identical to the HIDX and I decided to support a site vendor!

That's what keeps us alive and supporting the forum.. Thanks again! And thanks for taking the time to do a write up with these lights!

These lights look alot like the HIDX and the Kragen.

Yeah they are basically the same thing except more expensive. I think the HIDX looks cleaner though it's got less of a plastic-like look to it than the Optilux.