Outlaw hood mounts and HIDX lights from Alternative Off Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I just did some looking and the 6" LED bar is running 1125 Lumens, where this HIDX has 3200. so as far as performance for money, the HIDX is the way to go it seems. I'm still going to be interested to see some light pics of the 6" LED though.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd caution you from making any decisions based on advertised lumen ratings. They tend to be about as accurate as the MPG numbers on a window sticker, unfortunately.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd caution you from making any decisions based on advertised lumen ratings. They tend to be about as accurate as the MPG numbers on a window sticker, unfortunately.

Also lumens doesn't measure overall brightness. It simply measures it in a single spot. A light can have a high lumen output and not be usable at all (think laser pointer, extremely bright in a focused spot, won't help you see a single thing at night).

OP
OP
puddle hunter

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good dude! You guys getting any wind noise with this setup?
No wind noise whatsoever. We just took a 360mi trip, and the whole way I was trying to hear any kind of buffeting... and heard nothing!

Hmm, this maybe my next mod... You guys make my wallet hurt lol
With these mounts and these lights, this is the cheapest light mod right now. Hell, this whole install can be purchased for the same price, if not less, than one of the major brand lights on the market.
Mounts: $70/pair
Lights: $100 each
black covers: $25/pair

Also lumens doesn't measure overall brightness. It simply measures it in a single spot. A light can have a high lumen output and not be usable at all (think laser pointer, extremely bright in a focused spot, won't help you see a single thing at night).
Exactly! These HIDX lights are more of a Euro beam, and they need that high number, to cover such a large area. But the 6" LED's can be had in a spot pattern, which doesn't necessitate a high lumen number.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks guys, I had wondered if I might have been off base on the lumen thing, turns out waiting for pics is a good idea. If the 6" are plenty bright I think I'd rather have those anyhow.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Aaron,
Your comparing apples to oranges here. You will not come close to the distance of the HIDs with the LEDs. The flip side of that is the HIDs won't come close to the light spread of the LEDs. For mounting on the hood Outlaw has stated that the more spotted the lights are the better. Otherwise you will be lighting up your hood as much as the road. I would choose the HIDs hands down to go above the hood. An LED bar would be better suited down low on the bumper anyway. This way you get the best of both worlds, and the lights are placed where they perform the best.

OP
OP
puddle hunter

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Otherwise you will be lighting up your hood as much as the road.

True... and yet not so true...

The HIDX are a euro beam, and therefore light up the hood a bit more than a spot or pencil would. However, my tux black with hood decal seems to cut that down to a minimum, OR I just don't notice it so much. I could see that a white hood would reflect more light back at the driver, than any other color.

So, a couple factors to consider.
1: The color of the truck plays a big part in reflection, the hood decal can cut down the glare across the hood, but it doesn't cover the areas directly in front of the mounts.
2: How sensitive are you/your eyes?

And here's another monkey to throw in your wrench... or something like that.:ROFLJest:
Because they're euro beam, they're partial flood.. this puts more light on the terrain... BECAUSE the terrain lights up so bright.. you may not notice the hood reflection...

kinda melted your mind there didn't I??!!!
...sorry, I just slugged a Monster energy... :crazy: