OEM HID vs Projector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VelociRaptorSVT

Reaction score
What's the difference between OEM HID lights and (Recon) projector headlights? I notice a big difference in price, but besides that, I don't know much about them. Any input would be appreciated.

tcm glx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely quality of the housings.....

I have a 2012 with halogens, and I am upgrading to the Spyder OEM style lights, and will be retrofitting higher quality Projectors, bulbs and ballast. More to come on that!

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I changed out my halogens with OEM HIDS on my 2012. Differences most notable are quality, light output and styling. Recon has not had the best reputation for quality from most of those that have had experience with their products.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are some decent aftermarket housings with projectors on Ebay. They are halogen projecters, but you can add a HID kit and they perform well. M3toSVT can give you more details on what to buy if you want to try that route, he does conversions and is familiar with the aftermarket products available now.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can do HID or LED. HID will give you more lux but as your distance gets greater from your vehicle to the object the light REALLY drops bigtime. They also take about 10 secones to warm up to the right color temp and then about a minute to truly warm up enough to get to their proper light output.

I just ran a test last night comparing the halogen lights to a popular HID kit to our 2 brands of LED kits that we sell. We noticed the HID lights kept slowly increasing lux... after about a minute they finally stopped. They threw more light but when I doubled the distance from 25' to 50' the light output dropped significantly. Here is a quick photo to show our results.

You can get aftermarket projector kits or even build your own or pay a shop to design one for you. You'll get better quality projectors having something built over buying an "off the shelf" projector headlight kit. Take the anzos for example on my 2015. They are not the best projectors at all. You'd get better results building one.

Attachments

• Shootout.jpg
    Shootout.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 117