Newbie Wiring!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwjstruebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to start wiring up some aux lighting. Just wanted some input on things I will need before I go and try to wire this up then have to run around after I have wires everywhere. Also anything else that maybe useful! I am not an electrican by any means and also not a mechanic but I know (+) goes to (+) and (-) to (-) :anitoof:

I am wiring up (2) hood mounted lights and a 20" bar

Thanks!

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you wanting to go to the Aux panels in the truck?

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

If so the upfitter switches have a connection behind the glove box to make. I wrapped everything with wire loom, solder every connection makes it better when your out beating on your truck. Then use shrink tube with a heat gun to make it water tight..

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
thanks for the motivation and excellent input :yaoface2:

yah I was going to use the aux switches... is putting 2 50w spots on one switch do able? Or how do I determine what aux switch to use for what?

50w x 2 = 100w

100w/ 14.4v = 6.94 amps

or

100w/ 12v = 8.33 amps

Look at the tech data of your lights and see at what voltage they get the 50w. if it's 14.4 or 12v you're still under 10a so any of the switches will work in this case.

watts = volts x amps so you can use that rule of thumb to find the rated amperage of devices based on the information available to you.

and here's BigJ's thread on the topic

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/upfitter-aux-switch-wiring-explained-5418/

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Bird, was gonna link that up but you beat me to it. pw, make sure you reference the thread Bird linked to, and the diagram within it. If you still have questions, fire away.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey bird... Ohms law if I remember and its been awhile since school...
Amps X Volts = watts
Watts divided by volts = amps

Just think this would be the calculator.... Most car stuff uses 13.3 volts but this may have changed ... We did engineering for car audio stuff using 13.3 volts as the nominal average voltage... Just my 2 cents...

OP
OP
pwjstruebig

pwjstruebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AMP Draw (12V DC): 4.17A ?? make sense?

The lights come with wiring that includes quick connect to the light with 14 gauge wire a relay with (2) 20 amp fuses one on (+) from relay to battery and another after the switch to battery. Does each light need a full relay and fuses?

Says that if I am gonna run any custom wiring it should be 14 gauge for two lights.

Was talking with ShooterAMG and we were talking about having a good ground. any good spots?