New lighthead from Tomar .... Rect-16 ....Endless options....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gotbitn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tomar lights are great. The lights are priced well but the mounting brackets are expensive for what they are.

Just remember these light are designed for emergency vehicles as warning lights not for area or road illumination.

I don't think you can easily select one color/half to be on, they don't have separate turn on wires for each half, at least the RECT-14LS don't. You have to go through all the flash patterns until you get to the "Steady Burn" or solid on choice.
If you decide to use these in a non flashing pattern I would get a single color unit and set the pattern to Steady Burn. If you want 2 colors I suggest separate light heads in each color.
The RECT-13LS (has 3 LEDs) and RECT-14LS (has 4 LEDs) are both available in single color and can be set to steady burn.

OP
OP
One Black SVT

One Black SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tomar lights are great. The lights are priced well but the mounting brackets are expensive for what they are. Just remember these light are designed for emergency vehicles as warning lights not for area or road illumination. I don't think you can easily select one color/half to be on, they don't have separate turn on wires for each half, at least the RECT-14LS don't. You have to go through all the flash patterns until you get to the "Steady Burn" or solid on choice. If you decide to use these in a non flashing pattern I would get a single color unit and set the pattern to Steady Burn. If you want 2 colors I suggest separate light heads in each color. The RECT-13LS (has 3 LEDs) and RECT-14LS (has 4 LEDs) are both available in single color and can be set to steady burn.

1st....Seriously?....either you have been given some crazy prices on the brackets or your just guessing. Either way, I will share with you what I paid ...
$70 bucks per light head
$12 bucks per mounting bracket. The brackets are powder coated & thick enough to stay put.
which equals 8.4% of the light head price. that's pretty cheap !

I have not been given a price break either, so what makes u say that their brackets are overpriced? what company priced them to you?

2nd ... I agree that these lights were designed for warning. no one disputes that. but I personally have set one of these light heads to steady burn and compared them with a lot of different lights I have had experience with .... and they are bright. (brighter than light heads priced 2 to 3 times more). this thread was posted suggesting that these lights would make a great up close illumination for a great price and with a very small footprint...definitely bright enough for close up illumination during rock climbing or in the woods. (something that doesn't require long distance illumination) --- for that, u would need a light head designed for distance.

Gotbitn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st....Seriously?....either you have been given some crazy prices on the brackets or your just guessing. Either way, I will share with you what I paid ...
$70 bucks per light head
$12 bucks per mounting bracket. The brackets are powder coated & thick enough to stay put.
which equals 8.4% of the light head price. that's pretty cheap !

I have not been given a price break either, so what makes u say that their brackets are overpriced? what company priced them to you?

2nd ... I agree that these lights were designed for warning. no one disputes that. but I personally have set one of these light heads to steady burn and compared them with a lot of different lights I have had experience with .... and they are bright. (brighter than light heads priced 2 to 3 times more). this thread was posted suggesting that these lights would make a great up close illumination for a great price and with a very small footprint...definitely bright enough for close up illumination during rock climbing or in the woods. (something that doesn't require long distance illumination) --- for that, u would need a light head designed for distance.

Not trying to crap on a thread you started, just giving my opinion of something I have a lot of experience with. Tomars are great, blinding little lights, especially considering their price. They are one of the best if not the best bang for the buck lights.

Over a year ago the brackets were more expensive, at least mine were, but I still say the brackets are expensive for what they are which is about .050" metal stamped with 5 holes and into an angle then powder coated. A lot of applications the bracket is not needed. Also not to nit-pic but the percentage of the bracket compared to the light is 17.1% assuming one light per bracket.

The ones I have were bought directly from Tomar and did get a price break, but like I said this was over a year ago so their pricing may have changed.

The main reason I posted was to make sure that anyone that wanted to buy a dual color unit and turn the colors on independently was aware that they can't do that, at least the RECT-14LS can't. I haven't used the RECT-16LS and Tomar doesn't have the install instructions on their site. The RECT13-LS and RECT-14LS have only 3 wires which are for Power, Ground and pattern change/multiple light head sync. Where it looks like in your photos the RECT-16LS have 4 wires, maybe two of those are separate power inputs. I am assuming yours came with instructions, would you mind posting a pick of them? Do they say you can independently turn on each half? What does the extra wire do?

For what you plan on using them for they will work great, anything more than about 15-20 feet there are better choices.

From my experience the RECT-14LS don't have the throw for backup lights unless they are angled towards the ground so you can see objects that are very close like backing up to a trailer or backing into a tight space but if someone wants them so they don't back off a cliff they better choose something else.

OP
OP
One Black SVT

One Black SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to crap on a thread you started, just giving my opinion of something I have a lot of experience with. Tomars are great, blinding little lights, especially considering their price. They are one of the best if not the best bang for the buck lights. Over a year ago the brackets were more expensive, at least mine were, but I still say the brackets are expensive for what they are which is about .050" metal stamped with 5 holes and into an angle then powder coated. A lot of applications the bracket is not needed. Also not to nit-pic but the percentage of the bracket compared to the light is 17.1% assuming one light per bracket. The ones I have were bought directly from Tomar and did get a price break, but like I said this was over a year ago so their pricing may have changed. The main reason I posted was to make sure that anyone that wanted to buy a dual color unit and turn the colors on independently was aware that they can't do that, at least the RECT-14LS can't. I haven't used the RECT-16LS and Tomar doesn't have the install instructions on their site. The RECT13-LS and RECT-14LS have only 3 wires which are for Power, Ground and pattern change/multiple light head sync. Where it looks like in your photos the RECT-16LS have 4 wires, maybe two of those are separate power inputs. I am assuming yours came with instructions, would you mind posting a pick of them? Do they say you can independently turn on each half? What does the extra wire do? For what you plan on using them for they will work great, anything more than about 15-20 feet there are better choices. From my experience the RECT-14LS don't have the throw for backup lights unless they are angled towards the ground so you can see objects that are very close like backing up to a trailer or backing into a tight space but if someone wants them so they don't back off a cliff they better choose something else.

GOTBITN:::: The very thread itself stated that......" I wouldn't rely on them to throw light way down range like a led hood mounted cannon, but for rock crawling or backup/side/mirror lighting, they seem more than capable." .... That's what I was suggesting they be used for.... Based on my actual HANDS-ON testing.... Not from an "educated?" guess from someone who states " I haven't used the Rect-16LS and ......" ..... seriously,..... now the main reason you say that you posted was to clarify the dual color option to see if they can independently be used with only one side on at a time and visa versa. I get that. and honestly I would like to know the answer myself. as far as your "in my opinion of something I have a lot of experience with" ..... u have never even held this light. and how far a light head might cast light....15-20 feet....me personally, I tend to give more "street cred" in the ppl that have actually used/held/installed the actual lights that they are talking about rather than someone saying "there are better choices out there" who has never tried the light head out - or - has even messed with the smaller light heads in a year or so.... honestly man, how would you know if this light head is or isn't a better choice than others out there.... this forum seems to be jammed packed with ppl who give independent opinions from actually trying something out. that's why a lot of us are here... to get informed info and put our heads together on mods.....I'm sure your 2 cents would be better understood and respected when u draw from experience instead of how you think something may or may not do/perform...btw.... If you think that you can punch out 6 better brackets with the same powder coating and hole size/locations for 12 dollars each, then I will order 6..... seems like u r the man with all the answers. -One Black SVT

OP
OP
One Black SVT

One Black SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GOTBITN:::: The very thread itself stated that......" I wouldn't rely on them to throw light way down range like a led hood mounted cannon, but for rock crawling or backup/side/mirror lighting, they seem more than capable." .... That's what I was suggesting they be used for.... Based on my actual HANDS-ON testing.... Not from an "educated?" guess from someone who states " I haven't used the Rect-16LS and ......" ..... seriously,..... now the main reason you say that you posted was to clarify the dual color option to see if they can independently be used with only one side on at a time and visa versa. I get that. and honestly I would like to know the answer myself. as far as your "in my opinion of something I have a lot of experience with" ..... u have never even held this light. and how far a light head might cast light....15-20 feet....me personally, I tend to give more "street cred" in the ppl that have actually used/held/installed the actual lights that they are talking about rather than someone saying "there are better choices out there" who has never tried the light head out - or - has even messed with the smaller light heads in a year or so.... honestly man, how would you know if this light head is or isn't a better choice than others out there.... this forum seems to be jammed packed with ppl who give independent opinions from actually trying something out. that's why a lot of us are here... to get informed info and put our heads together on mods.....I'm sure your 2 cents would be better understood and respected when u draw from experience instead of how you think something may or may not do/perform...btw.... If you think that you can punch out 6 better brackets with the same powder coating and hole size/locations for 12 dollars each, then I will order 6..... seems like u r the man with all the answers. -One Black SVT

GOTBITN::::: .......myself and everyone else that has pm'ed me about your highly experienced opinion, w/o ever having held/tested this light, anxiously await your response.

OP
OP
One Black SVT

One Black SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks to Nosbusa..... I will be wiring up these lights tonight (am I the only one catching grief for staying up till 2am to work on their truck after the wife turns in)?
But I will post a few daytime installed pics - I'm liking the look.... but trust me, wait until I post the illumination pics after I wire them up. even with just one on each side.... they are very bright. (Cheated and hooked them up to a jump box to test)

image-1401229213.jpg

image-2764816183.jpg

image-1188913392.jpg

image-3896203746.jpg

they are subtle and out of the way. and I had to use the factory 90 degree mounts as GOTBITN has yet to sell me the "awesome" ones
that apparently he can manufacture for a cheaper price than 12 bucks. the factory 12 dollar mounts as you can see in the pics are more than adequate for this install.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks to Nosbusa..... I will be wiring up these lights tonight (am I the only one catching grief for staying up till 2am to work on their truck after the wife turns in)?

welcome to my world of the late night mods. haha. i do this all to often. i have a big couch here at my shop so i can sleep when im done. if you get stuck, pm me your cell phone number, i have pictures of the accessory wire on my phone

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can I ask a related, but non-threatening question? I was just teasing about asking permission!!

I have some LED lights I've been messing with that are amber or white, depending on which wire is "hot". They sell a rocker switch that uses on-off-on to choose the light color. What happens if I ran each wire to a switch and accidentally turned BOTH on? I'm too afraid to test it, but I want to know what will happen.

Noah? Anyone else?

Gotbitn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I ask a related, but non-threatening question? I was just teasing about asking permission!!

I have some LED lights I've been messing with that are amber or white, depending on which wire is "hot". They sell a rocker switch that uses on-off-on to choose the light color. What happens if I ran each wire to a switch and accidentally turned BOTH on? I'm too afraid to test it, but I want to know what will happen.

Noah? Anyone else?

I would suggest calling the manufacture. Without knowing the make/model and researching it is hard to know, it could range from nothing to destroying them.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

You are the one that asked "Anyone ever monkey around with this brand?", If you didn't want people to respond with their experience with Tomar lights you shouldn't have asked.

The main reasons I posted on this thread have always been the same.
1. Make sure everyone knows that these lights won't produce sunlight and have a limited range. Which was actually agreeing with you and confirming your findings. Don't get why you got so bent out of shape over that.

2. These 2 quotes of mine explain the other reason. "I don't think you can easily select one color/half to be on, they don't have separate turn on wires for each half, at least the RECT-14LS don't." and "The main reason I posted was to make sure that anyone that wanted to buy a dual color unit and turn the colors on independently was aware that they can't do that, at least the RECT-14LS can't.". Another member had mentioned that he would like to use a bi-color head and separately turn on each color.
For the record you can't independently turn on half of RECT-16LS either, how do I know this? I called Tomar and asked!!! I guess I should have know better to expect you to know this since you have these in your hands and have "HANDS-ON testing" with them. Looks like my as you put it " "educated?" guess " was correct even though I didn't have them in my hands.

As far as never having a RECT-16 in my hands or that the RECT-13 and RECT-14 I used were from over a year ago, guess what, my experience is still valid and comparable to the RECT-16s. When I called I asked about the raw LEDs used in the lights, Tomar hasn't changed the LEDs in them and they use the same LEDs in all the RECT-13,14 and 16 lights. So 2 RECT-13 will put out the same amount of light as a single RECT-16 and 2 14s put out more, I have used both configurations.

Since you couldn't supply the answer even though you have used the 16s, I asked Tomar what the extra wire was for on the 16, it is for a secondary flash pattern or to dim the lights. Some states laws require emergency lights to not have as much output at night. I know how I would use that extra wire for on my raptor but you don't seem to want my opinion.

As to this, "honestly man, how would you know if this light head is or isn't a better choice than others out there", because I have actually used over 20 different models of light heads from many different manufactures, comparing the beam patterns and brightness. I have some 6 LED light heads that I never tested that are smaller than the Tomars (less than 3.75" wide), are brighter because they use current gen LEDs not years old tech. But they do cost about $110 in small quantities.

I make custom brackets all the time since factory brackets rarely mount so the light emits level. I don't powdercoat them though, I use stainless or aluminum, etch then paint.

I am done with this thread, thought we were here to "give independent opinions" and "to get informed info and put our heads together on mods"