New lighthead from Tomar .... Rect-16 ....Endless options....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

One Black SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever monkey around with this brand? Tomar has a pretty good name for itself in the emergency vehicle realm and I was thinking about using a few for exterior lighting.... Im thinking about mounting them to the running boards. I would mount them on top in between the truck body and the running board and tuck them as far as I could underneath so that they wouldn't get toe kicked. The thought here is just to tie them into the illumination wire much like the cargo light stays on for 30 seconds or so when you unlock the doors via the key fob. Three on each side would easily do the trick I think. Here is an SUV with lights mounted in the same area I'm am thinking about doing.

image-1652243481.jpg

I now wish that I would have done a turn signal mod with a few of these in amber. They are stupid bright and could maybe be distracting to others, but who knows.

image-3135292224.jpg

Which also brings up a different issue.... I recently installed the m&r backup lights in my rear bumper. 2 massive holes cut in my bumper.... they don't look bad, but these lights (Tomar's) are stupidly small and really really bright....I would still have to have holes, but only one 3/8" drill bit hole and two 1/4" holes for the mounting bolts. I haven't taken an illuminated photo yet but plan on it soon. I just tested them out using a battery jump box and they walk the walk.

I also wish I would have installed a few of these inside my truck bed instead of the recon hd led light strips. The recons are sufficient, but if most of us just wanted sufficient, we would drive a regular f150.

image-3998436792.jpg

image-2030347344.jpg

image-2739494432.jpg

image-498558859.jpg

image-3715129486.jpg

image-4222021335.jpg

image-2904076208.jpg

image-3113317583.jpg

Attachments

• image-3929353200.jpg
    image-3929353200.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 94
  • image-3298854324.jpg
    image-3298854324.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3644181246.jpg
    image-3644181246.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 90

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which also brings up a different issue.... I recently installed the m&r backup lights in my rear bumper. 2 massive holes cut in my bumper.... they don't look bad, but these lights (Tomar's) are stupidly small and really really bright....I would still have to have holes, but only one 3/8" drill bit hole and two 1/4" holes for the mounting bolts. I haven't taken an illuminated photo yet but plan on it soon. I just tested them out using a battery jump box and they walk the walk.

So are you thinking to surface mount the lights on the bumper? Where? Do you have a picture of that set up?

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These are what I'm looking for! A small unit that has dual colors. I am looking to install these in the rear bumper instead of the Rigid duallies.

These would be half amber and half white. I would want my ambers on during the SnoBall and have the whites on while in reverse.

I'm researching this. Now I need to look at installation options.

Nice find. Thanx!

ramx50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are what I'm looking for! A small unit that has dual colors. I am looking to install these in the rear bumper instead of the Rigid duallies.

These would be half amber and half white. I would want my ambers on during the SnoBall and have the whites on while in reverse.

I'm researching this. Now I need to look at installation options.

Nice find. Thanx!

Thats a good idea but I wonder if these lights would hold up to offroad use?? We know Rigid and other offroad lights do.

OP
OP
One Black SVT

One Black SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are you thinking to surface mount the lights on the bumper? Where? Do you have a picture of that set up?

Yes. I would just surface mount the lights if I put them on the side mirrors. Was thinking of buying the black blanks and attaching them directly. The awesome thing with these lights are that they can be mounted with or without a bracket and still be waterproof. Same thing if I mounted them to the bumper.... The light head comes with the screws needed and although it's hard to tell by my pics, the light head already has two mounting holes at each end which will either mount directly to a surface or to a bracket,...either way is waterproof as the back is encapsulated rubber..... Dealers choice which way u go.... I like without a bracket depending on your application b/c they leave a SMALL footprint... These lights are EXTREMELY bright so I'm probably, for now, just use them as illumination lights on the running board, and b/c of the angle, I will have to use the 90 degree brackets and manipulate the angle as needed. I will post pics once I install .....

image-2327825008.jpg

image-3857941288.jpg

image-382566280.jpg

image-2952293363.jpg

I bought 6 light heads with 6 90 degree brackets to do the running boards. Already set the flash pattern to steady burn. Has 38 diff flash patterns if someone had the need. Gonna be a week before I install as my dad borrowed my truck to go see some family in Florida.

OP
OP
One Black SVT

One Black SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a good idea but I wonder if these lights would hold up to offroad use?? We know Rigid and other offroad lights do.

Good question. I dunno. But here's my only thought. The light heads are approx 70 bucks each. They are brighter than dammit. They are 100% waterproof. I'm thinking that if a branch takes out this light, I would be surprised. Not saying that the lens wouldn't crack, but this company has a great light at a great price. If it does bite the bullet, at least you won't cry as hard as you would with lights that cost ALOT more. I do not have the lumens specs on these but I know from my earlier test today that they ROCK!!!

I have m&r 8 pks in the center license plate area and a pair of baja ONX in the fog light area. I'm pretty familiar with bright LEDs .... and these are pretty bright. 5 yr warranty too.

I wouldn't rely on them to throw light way down range like a led hood mounted cannon, but for rock crawling or backup/side/mirror lighting, they seem more than capable.

OP
OP
One Black SVT

One Black SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few side pics. Someone asked for them in a pm but I didn't see the advanced option to add a photo in a pm.

image-583336030.jpg

image-871756742.jpg

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say cheap chinese junk, except they aren't. Funny thing is, they are right across the street from Rigid. Tomar has been there for years, though.

OP
OP
One Black SVT

One Black SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yeah, cause the raptor does so well on fuel...... haha

Yep. That was my first thought too... but it's my dad, so I just keep my mouth shut and chucked him the keys.

.....my wife came home and saw the tomar lights. now she hinting about having led daytime running lights like those found on audi's. might have to visit the ford explorer forum for wiring info. probably not gonna complain as she has watched me led the crap out of my vehicle. thanks too all of you who posted the DIY step by step threads.....