My review of the eBay special, generic, 20 inch LED light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So after seeing Infinaterealitys thread of a 30 incher and some 2x2, I decided to give it a go. I payed $126 shipped for a generic 20 inch led light bar. The description says its 120 watts, 9,000 lumens. It "should" fit nicely in the brackets welded in my bumper, behind the skid plate. I payed for it Sunday, it arrived Thursday, I installed it Friday.

It comes disassembled. The bar is assembled but the brackets aren't assembled. It comes with two different sets of screws. One long, the other short. Also came with washers and locker washers.

So first things first....this bar is SLIGHTLY wider then the tabs so I had to hammer the tabs out ever so slightly.

Slide the lock washer first then the regular washer down the short screw. Thread the screw half way into the hole. Obvious. Repeat same thing for other side.

I removed my skid plate for easy access. The actual mounts are welded on the bumper. I have an air gun with an Allen wrench adapter.
null_zps78b6f1c1.jpg

Once both sides are screwed in half way, gentle slide it on to the tabs and maneuver it into place. Then, using an Allen wrench that's provided, tighten each side until almost completely tight. Then position the light to your liking.
null_zps29d986a2.jpg

Here's a pic of it mounted below my M&R 40 inch. Both lights are off.
null_zps7ad20677.jpg

Here's a pick of both lights on during the day. 20inch is in the skid plate. It's whiter and seems brighter. Listed at 9,000 lumens compared to my 15,000 lumen M&R
null_zps164efd6f.jpg

Here's both lights on. My iPhone isn't a $2000 camera so just be happy with this.
null_zps031ca954.jpg

Here's my truck looking down my driveway. I'd say 25-30 yards to my garage. Notice my surroundings and trees above and behind my garage.

Here is just my stock HIDs
null_zpsbefeaae4.jpg

Here is my HIDs plus my 40inch M&R. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!
null_zpsf14f5dde.jpg

Here's my HID plus my 40 inch M&R plus my new 20 inch generic bar. Notice the extra light on the wall on the right and the house on the left
null_zpsb1247840.jpg

Here's the side of the house with my HIDs and 40 incher. Notice the shadows, windows, and door.
null_zpsbef4e965.jpg

Here's the same angle but with my 20 inch generic bar added to my HIDs and 40 incher. Notice how much lighter the shadows are but the doors and windows are also more illuminated.
null_zpsbd510328.jpg

FINAL REVIEW: installation wasn't a breeze. The bar is a tad too wide but we were able to hammer the tabs back a bit. Once it was on the tabs, ******** it in was easy but long. It's a tough squeeze...too tight for power tools. But it's a doable job by hand. I purchased this bar for $126 total including shipping. The output vs value is phenomenal and if you've got the tools and the patience to deal with it, they are definitely worth it!!!! My cell phone pictures don't do it justice. The 20 inch generic bar would be good as a primary off road light but it is GREAT as a secondary or complimentary off road light. Excellent purchase.

OP
OP
jackrook

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
can we see just the 20" bar? vs just the 40" bar?

i took about 30 pictures of the two bars and they wouldnt come out. lights are too bright!!! LOL. i can try something again tomorrow but its too late tonight. plus i have my cat cuddled on me. i dont wanna wake Muffin.

Banned
Reaction score
haha no worries, was just curious as to how close they are in brightness