Mirror Reflector Lights Always On and Flash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is another option. granted, i havent done any testing with this, but in theory it should work.

there is an illumination wire in the doors. its what powers the lights around the window switch when the parking lights are on. im not sure of the color yet, but there definitely has to be one. you could tie into that instead of the marker lights, however they will not stay on when you open a door like the marker lights do. you may also need a low voltage trigger to power a relay. but this is how i would wire it.

85 goes to the turn signal wire.(if you need a low voltage trigger, this is where it would go inline.) 86 goes to ground. 87 goes to ignition (also found in the door) and 87a goes to the new lights. 30 is not used.

what this does is puts the circuit as normally closed so the ignition power will pass through the relay allowing you to have them on with the parking lights. and when the turn signal is pressed, it will trigger the relay to flash. the one issue is that it will be reversed compared to your turn signals. the only way to make them flash in unison would be to run wires into the cab. having a dual purpose light makes for extra wiring unfortunately. this may or may not work, but maybe worth a try before you pull a door off.

OP
OP
jondle

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever figure this out?

I just want them to function as marker lights.

I haven't taken the time to actually install yet, but just as markers is pretty easy. If you want them always on, you can just tie into anything that is switched with the ignition, such as the grill lights. If you just want them to flash when the turn signal flashes, you can tie into the light in the mirror.

OP
OP
jondle

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a constant hot in the door jamb harness or kick panel area?

I guarantee there is one because there are a lot of wires that run along the door jam. Unfortunately, I don't know which is which. A little multimeter work should tell you.

An easy option would be using an upfitter switch. They are switched with the ignition, so you could just leave it on. I wouldn't waste a switch for it, but if you aren't comfortable with a multimeter, this might be an easy way.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever figure this out?

I just want them to function as marker lights.
for marker lights only, you can use a wire that goes into the power window switch. it only comes on when the lights are on. its a 14 ga wire. im not in a truck at the moment, but you are fine to test the thicker wires.