Made a custom behind the grill 20" LED light mount...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
It's not quite done yet, I am going to add some 1" square aluminum tubing to the bottom mounting plate to make it as strong as possible, and of course paint it black. As it sits now, with the light bar bolted to the mount it's very solid but this design would be putting a lot of strain on the light mounts to resist flex of the aluminum.

All in all it cost under $20.00 to make and took me about 2 hours. I'll be doing a full write up on how you can do this yourself. I will be installing my M and R Automotive 20" and wiring it up this weekend with a full report but here's a sneak peek.

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

Banned
Reaction score
Very nice, should be bright as fawk!

Always good to see people making things on their own.

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
nice man looks very different ....so your fabbing the mount from scratch? cant wait to see the write up on both he light an mount good luck

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
nice man looks very different ....so your fabbing the mount from scratch? cant wait to see the write up on both he light an mount good luck

yes i came up with the design myself. it bolts directly to the grille mounts, using the existing holes. Two 3' sections of aluminum plate were all I needed aside from the machine screws.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes i came up with the design myself. it bolts directly to the grille mounts, using the existing holes. Two 3' sections of aluminum plate were all I needed aside from the machine screws.

I gotta ask, why didnt you install in the lower grill portion of your new bumper??

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I gotta ask, why didnt you install in the lower grill portion of your new bumper??

I thought the exact same thing at first but then decided that this puts the light from different angles instead of the 20" and the Duallies all being at the exact same level.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score

1. i am very impressed(surprised) with how bright the Baja Designs lights on my bumper are. they are a flood pattern and if aimed properly can be used for daily driving.

2. i've always kind of wanted a behind the grille light, and I think the spot pattern of the M and R 20" would be most effective at headlight level.

3. Massachusetts is the most strict state in the country when it comes to front plates. i have to mount my front plate in front of the lower grill on my Wicked bumper. :(

3a. i am still thinking about mounting behind my bumper grille and installing a "plate flipper" that will kick my plate up and out of the way whenever i turn on the 20". that, my friends, would be worth the price of admission.