Lighting Shootout Results - TRR 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I have wanted to do a lighting comparison for quite some time. TRR presented the perfect opportunity by providing a good location as well as access to a wide variety of lights.

Test Method
When it comes to measuring lighting, lux (lumens, or light output, per square meter) is by far the best way as it captures both light output as well as how well the light optics utilize that output.

From the great, impeccable reference source, Wikipedia (Lux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):
The lux (symbol: lx) is the SI unit of illuminance and luminous emittance, measuring luminous flux per unit area. It is equal to one lumen per square meter. In photometry, this is used as a measure of the intensity, as perceived by the human eye, of light that hits or passes through a surface.
Each truck was aimed at the same point and then the lights were aimed to a single point (for individual lights). Each set of lights was measured with a lux meter at three distances: 50, 100 and 150 yards. At each distance, light output was also measured at 5, 10, 15 and 20 yard offsets in order to measure the light spread.

In addition, we tested one light bar, mounted behind the grille, with the hood both up and down. I seem to recall that someone else had done this before, but it was easy for us to replicate. The offsets were not measured with the hood down.

The Location
I decided to use the rifle range at Texana as it was flat and secluded from any light pollution. The range allowed for distances of 150 yards for our purposes.

Conditions
I started taking measurements at about 9:00 pm. There was a full moon (that measured about 1 lux) and a clear sky. No other light sources were visible.

Lights Tested
The lights tested are listed below. With the exception of the Baja Designs 50W upgrade kit and LightForce Genesis, all prices are from the websites given in the associated link. Note: some of the prices include mounts and wiring harnesses and some do not. All warranty information was taken from the manufacture's website.

KC HiLites - 8" Pro-Sport 35W HID Pair Pack System
$434.61 per pair
8" Pro-Sport HID Pair Pack System
Includes lights and wiring harness
Warranty: 23 years

Baja Designs - 4” Fuego HID 50W Spot beam
$299.95 ea + $50 for 50W upgrade
Fuego, HID Spot
Warranty: Limited lifetime

Baja Designs - 6” Pre Runner HID Spot beam
$274.95 ea
PreRunner, 6" HID Spot Black

LightForce - Genesis HID 50W Spot beam
$376.99 ea
Products
Warranty: 3 years

Baja Designs - Squadron XL LED Spot beam
$349.95 ea
Squadron XL, LED Driving

VisionX - 4.5” Light Cannon LED Spot beam
$229.00 ea
4.5" Cannon - LED, HID, and Halogen Lighting | Off Road Lighting | Offroad LED Lighting | Mine Lighting | Mining Lighting | Marine Lighting | Agriculture Lighting | Defense Lighting | Industrial Lighting | Commercial Lighting | Automotive Lighting

KC HiLites - LZR LED Cube set Driving beam
$812.89 per set of four
3" LZR LED Cube Bumper Light Pair Pack System for Ford Raptor (2010-2013) - Black - KC #340 (Spread Beam)
Includes lights, mounts and harness
Warranty: 23 years

Apollo Optics - Apollo 4 10w Square Spot beam
$159.00
Apollo 4 | Apollo Optics, Inc. | Premium LED Off-Road Lighting
Warranty: 2 years

Rigid - E Series 40” Lightbar Combo beam
$1299.99
Rigid Industries LED Lighting | Leader in Off road LED light bars, truck LED lights, Marine LEDs, and Industrial LEDs

Apollo Optics - 40” Lightbar Combo beam
$749.00
40" Elite Double Row LED Bar | Apollo Optics, Inc. | Premium LED Off-Road Lighting
Light and wiring harness
Warranty: 2 years

Blackhawk - 40” Lightbar Combo beam
$624.95
https://www.texasmotorworx.com/blackhawk-led-40-light-bar.html
Warranty: None listed

M&R - 40” Lightbar
$600.00
Raptor 40" Upper Grill Kit - Detailed item view - M & R Automotive - Custom FORD Raptor and Wrangler JK LED Light Kits

Weiken - Quadrow 40” light bar, Combo beam
$820.00
IP67 4rows CREE 5W 42'' 640w 48000lm led light bar 4x4 super brightness, View led boat light bar, WEIKEN Product Details from Hangzhou Amper Electronics Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Test Results
Lighting.jpg

Overall impressions
The HIDs (especially those with 50 watt and 70 watt setups) were definitely superior. Their optics made for the tightest beam patterns, which translated into more light per given distance, especially with their overall light output. In addition, in my opinion, their light output was more of a neutral white versus the cooler color temperature of the LEDs. Given the test data, the optics of the lower cost units were not as effective at getting the light down range. It was also my personal impression that the Baja Designs and VisionX had the most neutral color temp of the LED lights.

As far as mounting a light behind the grille, having the hood closed and projecting from behind the grille cuts the light in half. Something to think about when you choose that mounting setup.

One thing I would do different in the future is to take pictures of the light output of each setup. I think that would give folks a better idea of beam pattern and color temp.

Thank Yous
I would like to thank all of those who came out to let me test their lights and a special thanks to BlackMamba, who coordinated staging the trucks while I took measurements; etalian2005, who loaned me his radio; Matt Parks (ranch manager) and Trey.

Last edited:

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great write up.

I have been doing a lot of research on lighting and light set ups. The results shown above support or reaffirm what has been explained to me.

This is why when I was looking at specific companies to purchase / partner with for lighting, KC and Vision X came to the top. Both offer a number of lighting technologies that you can blend together to maximize your performance.

Madim

Reaction score
Great job putting the data together! I was surprised you didn't go blind looking at all those lights.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very well done sir! Instant sticky status for sure!

I'm sure it wasn't easy to wrangle theses hooligans into conformance of the requirements of the shoot out, lol... I'm surprised Rasco want on to of the quarry with a spot light making shadow puppets for you!

I wish someone would have had some Whelen lights that was willing to participate. Perhaps next year?

Thanks for contributing this write up/comparison Will.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It was three hours of doing a lot of walking.
I wish someone would have had some Whelen lights that was willing to participate. Perhaps next year?
I would definitely entertain doing another test next year. I will measure any lights available.