lighting changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So even as a novice with little raptor offroad style experience I still out ran my current light set up at rise of the phoenix. I am now in the process of upgrading the lighting. I figured I would post some info here and maybe it helps some of you out and maybe you can help me.

The short comings of the current setup is a lack of long range lightning. I did need the forward facing flood for hunting so that wasn't a bad choice, it just turned out to be way too short for off road at speed. and the 30" spot in the bumper was too short as well. in the woods it was al perfect, confirming the set up for hunting but in the open...not near enough.

the goal if the update is to add some long range lighting and maintain mid range/flood distance lighting for hunting.

current setup:
light tower mounted rigid 50" flood
bumper mounted rigid 30" combo spot/flood
2 4" E series with amber covers
2 6" SR2 spots on the side of the bumper for side trail lighting

changes:

I put a 50" E2 combo hyperspot/driving on last night. the distance and brightness is amazing. I will check it again tonight in a place where I can take a pic and get a distance idea but my gut tells me this will work just fine for the distance i need.

So, i now need mid range. I installed two Dually D2 with driving lenses on the hood mounts and will test them tonight.

TBD: i have 2 KC carbon HID pods at the house and I have 2 4.5" light cannons with a spot beam and snap on driving lenses on the way from chris.

I may try the KCs on the bumper and if they work will drop the 50" hyper spot and go back to the 50" flood.

I will also try the cannons on the hood with the driving lens the 50 hyper spot on the roof. I'm anxious to see how this combination works since it gives me the flexibility of using the cannons as a secondary spot to the 50 and then slapping the driving lenses on for hunt season and getting the light distribution i need.

I'll be back with pics and more to report.

Marc

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man as soon as we turned the first corner at Rise of the phoenix in the night run I knew the lights were not gonna cut it...and if i were Rookie driving, i'd have been creating my own shadow...in front of myself!

Zach the 50" E2 is a serious light. it throws a tight square way the heck out there.. i'll try to get a pic tonight.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
I've got a TMX Blackhawk 30" combo in my bumper, and hood mounted light cannons. The combo bar works great gives me decent long range and a good mount of splash to the sides, and then the cannons supplement the long range. Works good, but have over driven this setup as well.

My next move is the SVC light tower with 5-6 6.7" cannons (possibly the Apollo optics) to really throw light out there. And with that I will prolly have the 2 outermost cannons wear a flood lens.

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a TMX Blackhawk 30" combo in my bumper, and hood mounted light cannons. The combo bar works great gives me decent long range and a good mount of splash to the sides, and then the cannons supplement the long range. Works good, but have over driven this setup as well. My next move is the SVC light tower with 5-6 6.7" cannons (possibly the Apollo optics) to really throw light out there. And with that I will prolly have the 2 outermost cannons wear a flood lens.
interesting plan. I like the idea of the outboard lights having flood lenses

D

Deleted member 12951

Here is my setup and even at running 80 mph off-road, never out drove the lights. Those whelens up top are bright as hell. The problem I was having was side lighting when going around corners. Not sure what to do as my tower doesn't have more tabs. Do they make adjustable hood cannons that can be angled if needed?

776175e2a62b481f6e954d58875499aa.jpg

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is my setup and even at running 80 mph off-road, never out drove the lights. Those whelens up top are bright as hell. The problem I was having was side lighting when going around corners. Not sure what to do as my tower doesn't have more tabs. Do they make adjustable hood cannons that can be angled if needed?

776175e2a62b481f6e954d58875499aa.jpg
You could mount a pair of Wheelen's on hood mounts and angle them however you want. Works well for me.