Light cannon question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello RF, I have a question. I bought a set of 4.5" 25w light cannons a year ago. The kit came with 2 lights and a wiring harness.

Well, I just recently picked up two more 4.5" 25w Cannons. I want to run 4 of my cannons off the original wiring harness that came with the kit I bought a year ago. I want to use this in order to do it:

a1d8fd7f358c4117d15f939bd5b379cf.jpg

Can the harness support 4 lights?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

D

Deleted member 12951

You've got 100w or about 8amp load. I always like to go on the heavier side with gauge wire. I would use no higher than 14 gauge wire. Look at the harness and see if you can see markings on the wire to see what gauge it is. 16 gauge has a max load around 7.4amp but like I said, always go a gauge or two better.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That splitter would have no issues with a 50watt load, now the wiring you have already is the important part. Any stating gauge for load is a BAD idea as its only half the equation. What a wire will support current wise must take into account the length of the wire. Your wire has a resistance and the longer the wire the greater the resistance so the more current lost in the wire.

A chart like this is good reference.

Attachments

• main-qimg-ecaf7621ea0ade2a43349c7657264dc0-c.jpeg
    main-qimg-ecaf7621ea0ade2a43349c7657264dc0-c.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
R

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excuse me for being ******** hell with electrical. But, does this sloppy ass photo mean anything to any of you guys? These are the wires.

I am not going to use them because I already have a harness professionally installed. But, these are the same wires just different harness.87a741f5fb62ff8c4b3f1e7c631ffb4d.jpg
357c00ff23c93a31be9a19eec2dcfbec.jpg

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it looks to be a 16 ga wire. maybe 18. always try to use a slightly bigger gauge wire if possible. not a necessity, but depending on the duration current will be running through it, heat will play a part. electrically speaking 18 ga wire will work but not advisable. think of wire like a faucet. when its on low (small gauge wire) you still get water (power) but when its on high, you get a lot more. same with wire and dc current. you still get 12 volts with small wire, but the amount of current is less which produces more heat. so a bigger wire still gets 12 volts, but can handle more current

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To be honest that Looks like could be more like 14 gauge. Based on the number of strands and the size they appear to be. But hard to judge since he could have small hand.. lol

And You have the idea down on it but actually the resistance lowers the voltage, so the higher gauge actually provides a lower voltage to the device compared to a lower gauge. Same thing goes for if you have same gauge wire at 5' and then one at 25' the 25' will have a voltage drop. Normally calculated at a percentage. I try to never go over a 6% drop on things I wire and if its critical items like Fuel Pumps and such I would never go past 3% drop.

Attachments

• th1501wiregauge.jpg
    th1501wiregauge.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 81